Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

The more things change...

17 years ago 0 307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Since my quit, even when I was totally stressed by something, I hardly craved for a cigarette. Instead I�ve been anxious very often, in routine as well as in new situations. Not very comfortable I would say, mainly because I�ve been taking all kind of candies, chewing gums, sweets, etc. Now hearing that this too will pass, as time goes by, makes me feel less anxious. Means also that I won�t ever be back to my addiction and that I can enjoy breathing (was a hell during my long smoking period) for the rest of my life. Well I�m trying to look forward to better tranquil days and wish this for you all. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 316 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
  • Quit Meter

$295,100.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5953 Hours: 15

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh! and then I went and bought myself a new burner for my barbeque as a reward! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 685 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly what I experienced today! Did something different than usual. Not exactly new, but something I hadn't done since quitting. Yard work. While I was pulling up and cutting rhododendrons so we can get to "the back hill", I was thinking..ok, I'll pile these up and my son can haul them up the stairs and into the truck. Then I remembered.....he can't lift anything right now. So......once I was done cutting and piling...bam! the first crave hit. I was always so used to having a cig at that point. Never mind my racing heart, my panting..lol....it was always "that time". so, instead, i went upstairs, had some arizona green iced tea, told myself "smoking is not an option", checked in here, then went back to the yard. And you know what???? I could make three trips up the stairs carrying big rhododendron vines without panting, before I had to give my heart a rest. Did that three times three, enjoying it, without a cig!!!!! Loaded the truck, went to the green waste site...and came home with energy!!! This non-smoking life is awesome!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 685 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep, I'm doing the same thing. If something new or different, out of my routine, is tossed my way then I crave a lot more. I guess we keep exposing ourselves to the same ole, same ole so we've mastered those situations without smoking. Those new things though, those things we haven't been exposing ourselves to, now that's a different story. That's part of learning how to live life, with all that life throws our way, as a Non Smoker. I wonder about something here. Let me know what you think, okay? I wonder if a drastic change in lifestyle doesn't bring out a bit of rebelliousness in us. Like being told we should turn right so instead, we won't to turn left. I wonder about this because I never craved sweets at all until I was diagnosed with diabetes and told I couldn't have them. Now I crave them.....especially cookies or other baked sweets. I don't eat them because I plan on living a long life but, I still crave them where I never had before. My Dad was also diabetic and he too never craved sweets at all until he was diagnosed with the illness and was told he couldn't have them. Strange, huh? Since quitting smoking is a lifestyle change and it's something we know we can't do, I wonder if we're rebelling a little bit in some way. Stay Strong and Keep the Quit, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,211 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.91 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] I think I knew from the beginning that my biggest challenge wouldn't be the intense craves that come in the first while. It would be the low-level anxiety that drones on in the background and wears on you over time. [/quote] How really well-put!! That so perfectly describes the low-level craving hum that I've been living with pretty much nonstop since I quit. Only in the past few weeks have I had days without that hum. I've read in many threads here that each quitter has to face four seasons of triggers. Each season brings its own changes that -yes- may bring on fresh craves. I'm looking forward to getting all four seasons behind me!!! (Only 269 days to go!) :gasp: :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,909 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $288 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are right there! I am getting impatient waiting for the Easter / Spring weather to arrive. I like to walk outside early am (6:00ish) and its just been too cold this year. I ususally start outside in March. So am getting anxious. It is so calming to walk in the morning when the sun is just up and its almost always calm, and nice and quiet. Speaking of quiet, How do you manage with a house full of teenagers??? Those were some of my most stressful times, and some of the most fun times too. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 848 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $348.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, Lainey... I was thinking about the "thirty day" thing too. I never experienced it the last time I attempted to quit, so I really wasn't expecting it this time. Boy...just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water... But, I knew better than to put any conditions on this. I knew going in that I was going to take things as they came, whether I liked it or not. :) And that's what I'm doing. I'm gonna work with what comes and accept that as the price of success. I hope you and yours are having a lovely weekend, as well, Lainey! Hopefully this is the first of many smokeless Easters for you... and for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 822 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $296 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lookingglass, Happy Easter to you & your family. I have been having a quieter weekend so far, none of the kids are home until tomorrow so I did some spring cleaning, and yes had some cravings. Now I knew this was coming, when I smoked for the last 37 years, I smoked no matter what the task, indoors or out. You'd finish a task, have a smoke, do another, have a smoke. So today it was especially annoying. And not a "Great big biting Here I am craving, just a very annoying underlying "something is missing craving". And for me these cravings seem to hang on a little longer than the bigger flash in the pan ones. Maybe it just that we're going through the thirty day thing that the others have talked about this week. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 847 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $348.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes'm :) Can, and will. I just wish it was easier, sometimes. And yeah, I know... if wishes were horses, beggers would ride. I think I knew from the beginning that my biggest challenge wouldn't be the intense craves that come in the first while. It would be the low-level anxiety that drones on in the background and wears on you over time. But that's OK. I knew that I'd go through this. Smoking isn't a consideration. Hari kari maybe... but not smoking. :) LOL!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 821 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $296 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, This is quite common. Change of season, change of routine expose you to old situations in which you use to smoke. Sometimes, it is helpful to get back to basics and employ the same strategies that got you through those first few days. I know it can be frustrating but it's part of the process. Just keep taking it one day at a time. You can do this! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: