Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

I am having a GOOD day!

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phil and Maggie, That was a good laugh this morning reading your slang. I understood pretty much none of it but it was amusing trying to guess what the heck you guys were talking about. Sure you aren't just making it all up to play a prank on the yanks? :) Most of us wouldn't know the difference. Have a great day! The QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 265 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"summit and nowt" means 'something and nothing (quite appropriate I think for craving feelings. "havin' the bottle"..well, I gueass that means having the b*lls to get through something..boy..we're doing that! "walk down Lime Street"..The Beatles sang about 'Dirty Maggie May' a very old Liverpool ditty. "All Fur coat and no knickers" ummm..knickers=underpants (!) "Chuffed" = happy "Barnet" =hair "Slap"=makeup "Innit" =isn't it Please don't make me explain "meat an' two veg'! Phil.. I was born and bred in Canada ,eh? (but Granny was a Bernardo girl) NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) ...we can all get that one!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 808 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $214.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
What Phil said.. Pony..25 monkey 500 whistle & flute ..suit trouble & strife..wife pig's ear..beer Just a little more triv..from a Dutchman's wife. "Yankee" is derived from "Jan Kees"..from New Amsterdam, i.e New York. Jan Kees was the Dutch equivalent to "John Smith", or "Joe Blow"..average farmy bumpkin kind of guy. They smoked those nasty little white clay pipes that they're still pulling out of the canals in Holland. NOPE. Not one puff ever! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 808 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $214.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maggie How bloomin wunnerful! Good to see you are off the weeds,you will save a pony,a monkey or perhaps even a ton! Are you single or are you a trouble and strife? Goin out for me Michael Winner so I had better put me best whistle and flute on!! Might have a couple of jugs of pigs ear on the way! See Ya Cock Phil xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,623 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �425.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
Quitmeister this is real stuff Genuine Cockney rhyming slang still very much in use. It is said to be derived fron the barrow boys(market traders) having their own language so that customers could not understand the banter I think Try and work out Aris a clue Aris,Aristotle, Aristotle,bottle, Bottle,glass Glass........, [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,643 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �430.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
So Phil, I guess the summary is...it's all "summit and nowt"! Me, meself, I'm workin on havin' the bottle to carry this through. I can always go have a walk down Lime Street if I'm feeling low, like I'm all fur coat 'n no knickers. Chuffed to little mint balls here (actually..I'm eatin them)! Tarra..cheers.. Must go wash me barnet and put on some slap.. (Hope you're having a laff at my feeble slang attempt) It's almost another language innit? (I watch a LOT of corrie!) ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 748 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Phil! :) For me, after 9 weeks of quitting, I still have many difficult moments of craving! :) In the last few days, cravings occurred more frequently, but not as intense as before. It comes and goes ... I got to be more vigilant, more watchful ... Occasionally, one or two puffs from the NRT inhaler would be sufficient to keep those cravings at bay! :) Well, it's not easy to get rid of a smoking habit of 35 years! I know that, and I have all the patience to cope with it! One day at a time, One day at a time, One day at a time, ... :) As I have said many times, I'm determined to succeed this time! :) Cheers, nmc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $320 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Its amazing isn't it? Up and down up and down we go from day to day and having got this far I think it must be over but down we go again and Old Nick rears his ugly head again. Yesterday was not so good but today I am fine!! I think yesterday was bad because on Weds night I had a nightmare which was the most horrendous craving you could imagine and I woke up feeling absolutely terrified and awful! Last night I slept like a baby! However newbies I can tell you after a while it becomes a way of life and you just think 'Here comes another one it will pass' and it does! Remember that last sentence it is important Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,585 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �414.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
You are right mate I could have had that dream any old time but boy did it scare me for a while!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,587 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �414.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are right Phil. It does get easier w/ time =) I will be glad when it is all over and done with for good =) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 363 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$35,914.62

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 418 Hours: 9

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: