Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Your age and Your Quit????

13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pete,

I think you said it best when you said "The thing is, we don't know what's going to kill us, but we can choose how we live."  

Even though I crave sickarettes I know that my life would be better without them.  I won't stink of smoke when I'm around other people... I won't have to take a break for that smoke that totally messes up the flow of my day... my lungs feel so much better now that they can breathe... and on and on and on.... 

We may crave for the rest of our lives, that is part of the addiction, but we have to rise above the addiction and know that we can't smoke at all in order for our quits... our health ... our lives.. to keep going on so that our loved ones can enjoy us for as long as possible and so that we can enjoy them for much longer as well!! 

Leslie 
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not so concerned with menopause, and TMI notwithstanding, not so concerned with sperm count, I'm pushing 60 pretty hard.  My deal is, Is is worth it to quit smoking at such a late age?  I'm like, if lung cancer doesn't get me, then prostrate or skin cancer probably will; both run in both sides of my family.  My big brother died of lymphoma, which is out of left field.

The thing is, we don't know what's going to kill us, but we can choose how we live.  I don't want to beat nicotene to add some months or years to my life (it's WAY too late for me to be thinking about that!), but I want to beat it to give some quality to my life in the here and now.

I hope I'm not trampling sacred ground if I come in and say we're all in this together; our individual stakes and consequences of smoking will vary, but the net result is the same, across the board:  we all stand to be killed by our addiction.  Do we choose life or choose death?  The rest is beyond our control.

pete  (Would be WAY post-menopausal if so inclined...)

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/13/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $42.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 49 Seconds: 35

13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thread Leslie.

Weight gain is a common concern while quitting smoking and it would be interesting to hear how age plays a role in this as well.

Check out our sister site the HealthyWeight Center (www.healthyweightcenter.net).  This is a great no nonsense program with a support group very similar to the SSC.  We actually have a few SSC members there now!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Leslie. My situation was a little different, because I was 47, almost 48, when I quit smoking, and I was in surgical menopause, however, I did not know it. (Long story: I was told back in 1987 that my ovaries were not taken. I asked that they not be. The medical report I received last year also does not mention that they were. However, when I was sent to ultrasound last summer, I was told that I have no ovaries.) Within a few months of my "going" into menopause I began to put on lots of weight and began to have bad mood swings. I did associate some of it with the hysterectomy (estrogen levels drop a little just from losing your uterus), but still believed I was not in menopause. I went on psych medication, gained major weight, and then quit smoking. Now I have taken off 40 pounds over the last 4-5 months. I did feel that I needed to quit smoking first before losing weight. Because it seemed silly to worry about my weight when I was killing myself with cigarettes and also because I expected to gain weight during the quit. (On the sister site this month, the doctor addresses the issue of menopause and weight gain.) What I'm learning is that when I entered menopause, I needed to cut about 200 calories per day from my diet immediately, and I need to cut 50-100 per day every few years. You might want to keep a food log for a while just to see what you eat and how many calories you consume, so that you can prepare to cut. I've also stepped up the exercise and am willing to make a commitment to exercise 7-9 hours a week for as long as my body allows.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 496
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,888
Amount Saved: $5,902.40
Life Gained:
Days: 55 Hrs: 20 Mins: 46 Seconds: 17

13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, so I quit over 8 years ago.  I was 38 at the time and still had a great metabalism  ~  now, not so much.  I'm 46 now and in menopause   My metabolism has gone caput and so the weight gain has started.  I really don't want to frighten anyone because no matter if you smoke or not when you hit that "age" it's gonna "hit" you. 
I just joined one of those major weight loss entities today and I even mentioned that if I had the willpower to quit smoking then I'd have the willpower to track my intake of food.  I know that we all deal with the extra few pounds from quitting smoking... but have any of you women had to deal with the addition of menopause and it's effect on your waistline after your quit?? 
I can breathe a lot better now than I could 8.5 years ago, for that reason (plus many more), I'll never smoke again.  I love to sing, and since I quit smoking I can hit higher notes and have a much better range than ever before.  So my point is that I'd never go back to smoking....   just wondering if any other women out there my age are having to deal with the same circumstances that I am and how did they cope?

Leslie 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 2/14/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 3129
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 125,160
Amount Saved: $18,774.00
Life Gained:
Days: 321 Hrs: 22 Mins: 22 Seconds: 43

Reading this thread: