Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Reasons I am....

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Friends -- in something of panic mode, so I'm flying from one thread to the next, but this one stopped me:  so close to one year.  While the world will indeed stop turning on its orbit when you hit that milestone, and the choirs of angels in heaven will write brand new Hallelujah Choruses for you, and all things will be made new, one thing will not change.
You will crave when you least expect it.
You will kill for a cigarette at the very moment you declared victory over the demon we know as nic.
You will think, however subconsciously, YAY for me, I DID it.  Now I deserve a reward!  I can prove that I can do one Marlboro.

I so don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I was here, some years ago, in the same place you are now.  If this place is important to you, you will learn from my stupid mistakes.  I had come so far and was so proud, and now return to you as a newbie, what Fire Departments call a Probationary Officer, a "Proby," who has to prove himself/herself by cleaning toilets and mopping floors and polishing fire trucks.  Doing whatever the vets tell him/her to do just because he/she is a Proby, untested, untried, unreliable in an emergency when the stakes are high.

I am that person because I failed at Month 9 or Month 10 or Month 12, when the stakes were high, and I didn't recognize it. I can go to any stop-smoking site in the world, and I will be the new guy, the untested guy, the proby, because, quite frankly, I choked that the last big test.

So I am where I should be -- where I belong.  I am here to keep you from joining me:
Be Careful.  Be Very, Very, Careful.
Let nothing, nothing, nothing, get in the way of your glorious quit!!
Use NOPE, HALT, whatever.
And I will be here for you as one who came so close....

peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $33.75
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 23 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fantastic reasons everyone!

Keep the positives coming

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karren!  Good to see you also! 

No, I couldn't wear a smokers clothes now.  At least not without a good cleaning!  My son will go spend the night with his best friend.  Well, there is a smoker there.  It never fails that my son comes home smelling like an ash tray.  He knows that the first thing he does is get a shower and put all his clothes into the washer.  He even has a "special" bag he takes when he goes there.  One that can be washed every time.  I hate to think that my family smelled that bad!  I honestly though if I smoked just in my bedroom with the door shut that it didn't affect the rest of the house... WRONG! 

It really is funny how differently we see things now that we have broke free from it! 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 659
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,180
Amount Saved: $2,306.50
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 15 Mins: 29 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to say all of the below! I love the freedom, I really believe time is a gift, and I have wasted so many 5 minutes smoking- I just love having that precious time back.
I love the new found wealth! my wages last far longer than they used to I am saving so much and I feel I can treat myself to thinks as I am rewarding myself for the achievement, plus the money would have only gone on cigarettes before.
I love the feeling fresh, the not smelling of smoke and to someone who is as paranoid about hygiene as me thats a big one. I shudder to think that I must have stunk before and didn't know it- when I think of all the clothes and purses I lent non smoking friends what must they have thought, what did they do with the things? did they wear them? could you wear a smokers clothes now? I know I couldnt!
Like Breather I was always conscious of my stained fingers and nails, I now wear NO polish at all, bare nails, bare and pink and healthy looking bliss!

Lou P Lou!! so good to see you!! xx

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 271
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,775
Amount Saved: $4,065.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 23 Mins: 55 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Awesome input everyone!  I will second all of your postives!  I LOVE that I don't stink like smoke anymore!  My hair smells like my shampoo and you can smell my perfume without the stinch of cig smoke.  My perfume is much prettier without that added smell! 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 659
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,180
Amount Saved: $2,306.50
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 15 Mins: 23 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great input everyone.  I share many of these things too.

- You know people don't always tell you what's on their mind.  Now that I've quit I am much more aware of how awful the stale smoke smells.  It's horrible.  I know many people must have thought that way about me.  I'm thankful that they no longer do.

- Keeping up with my son is a big one.  I used to lose energy so quickly and it broke my heart.  Now we play together longer and more often.

- Capability - That feeling after whaling on a punching bag or doing weights.  That feeling that you can do anything.  That feeling that you have lost that weakness that holds you back.  That feeling, is a great feeling.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 185
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,440
Amount Saved: $1,387.50
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 15 Mins: 25 Seconds: 5

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So many reasons given are the same for me, too. I'd repeat the $$$$$$$$ issue. That was a biggie for me, 'cause I am, shall we say, rather frugal? Also, I am an excitable person. I always would get crap for not being at my desk. (Back to work wage slave, back to work!) Without the cig breaks, it is much less noticeable! Also, my wife, my quit buddy (and my best friend!) couldn't do it without my support. So I know that by me doing, it helps her. Smoking affects her much worse then me, she has asthma and high blood pressure so it is doubly important!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 61
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,440
Amount Saved: $1,098.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 1 Mins: 12 Seconds: 4

15 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can relate to all of these reasons and I will add that I don't have to pull over so often on my bike to light up.  My wife hated that!!!
Kaiser

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 190
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,750
Amount Saved: $237.50
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 7 Mins: 25 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy to be smoke free!!!!  I don't have to sit in the horrendous heat amongst the dive bombing flies.  I can look at my kids and say "I did it. I quit.".  I smell better!  I don't get winded when exercising (unless I'm supposed to).  Hopefully, I've slowed down the aging process a bit - keep your fingers crossed for me.
Mostly I'm just very proud of myself.  It's a good feeling.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 37
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 444
Amount Saved: $195.36
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 7 Mins: 48 Seconds: 22

15 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm Happy to be a nonsmoker because;   besides the things already mentioned, my teeth have gotten and stayed whiter.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 363
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,890
Amount Saved: $3,370.46
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 16 Mins: 22 Seconds: 52

Reading this thread: