Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Any such thing as an easy time???

15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi popsmom,
I too am on chantix.I started taking it around the last part of April of this year. I took it to please my husband at the time. I was not committed to quit for me then. So I was still smoking while taking it. I listened to the demons lies, one will not hurt. Anyway that was then, I came to my senses since then. And started over without not even one puff since 7/15/08.
When I started on this med I had a side affect of gas for about a month and a 1/2. Since I was on it for so long I wanted to quit taking it. I just quit and I got so down in the dumps, that I was a bear to live with lol. I then decided to just cut back to 1/2 a tablet a day. This seems to be working for me.
I wish you the best of luck on your quit. I have learned you can never turn your back on the nico-demon's tricks though.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/15/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 31
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 930
Amount Saved: $209.25
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 3 Mins: 22 Seconds: 9

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Humour is great medicine!

Good for you for pushing forward and being able to laugh!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
winelover,

Great realization at 63 days!

Keep using this positivity to improve and stay on this path!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well this is too Steve......I know what your saying, the constitution is 1 difference have noticed on the meds, but not serious.

My second remark is to Karren, I also totally understand that guilty thing......I thought and thought of how to put that in a topic, without offending or upsetting someone that might be struggling....

Last but not least, my guard is definitely not down, I had a moment today that I thought to myself, "Hmmmmm, this would be about the time I would want a smoke" but was a distant memory and not a thought to actually do.......one of those moments at Sams Club when someone just gets in your space, lol......I find myself making jokes, being a tad sarcastic in a comical way and laughing my butt off about it.  Humour, gotta luv it....

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 200
Amount Saved: $10.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 51 Seconds: 28

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Tho i am now out 6 years ,when i look back it was really hard for me , i had to fight for my quit, i always envied those who were having an easy time of it, but know what it was worth the fight, i look back now and i only wish i would have quit years sooner better yet never started. I think we are all different, and our quits are different :)  Hang in there , because it can be done :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2198
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,752
Amount Saved: $9,231.60
Life Gained:
Days: 314 Hrs: 5 Mins: 25 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, 
the side effects were mild at first, just some mild nausea.. so I would make sure to eat.. and sit or stand, (not bend over or lie down for about 10 minutes after taking it).  I found taking acicopholous capsules daily and a mild laxitive a couple times a week (recommended by my Dr) helped..   This can happen from quitting and not just the Chantix.. it was like my  GI system decided to take a vacation and just stop working... I also take 2 teaspoons of honey a day.. it helps with stomach problems and to keep the good flora active.

I did have a few vivid dreams and some sleep issues (again resoved by my Dr. with a mild sleeping pill to use a few times a week).

Many of the reactions could have been caused by quitting or the combination... I am also a stroke survivor... and I have had a hard time many medications in the past.  So at day 60 ... I was taking 1/2 tab 2 times a day.  That I was going to have to stop the chantix at some point anyway.

My husband is a non-smoker... My daughter and husband smoke, they live 4 hrs away, so I dont see them that often.. and they are VERY.... good about going outside or away...and not even saying going out for a smoke..  oh.. got to go get something out of the car...or just slip out.....

It is recommended to take them for 12 weeks up to 6 mnths... 

The times the "urges" or thoughts come for me is around a milestone or personal goal.   Also one of my main triggers is fatigue/when I get tired.  so Now I do take a litle break.. but I come on site or play a computer game, maybe go outside with the dogs.. look at my plants.. breathe some fresh air.

You will see many of my posts... what keeps me Quit?   People here,  my quit meter.. and I DO NOT want to repeat the first 30 days Again.....

Sometimes just saying I want a cigarette... my husband says... go get to your site.....  LOL

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 186
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,162
Amount Saved: $632.40
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 16 Mins: 2 Seconds: 48

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too used Chantix.  I did not have any side effects from it.  It helped me to quit and took away the withdrawal. It was the cravings that hit me later, the ones you manifest in your head that were hard for me to deal with.  I also went through a pretty good spell of depression and my anxiety condition peaked to a all new level.  However, through all of this I didn't cave with the help of everyone here.  Saw my doctor, got on some meds and I am a whole new person.  I think you are off to a fantastic start, and while you should never let your guard down, be happy that you did this and don't go looking for the cravings.  Congratulations, your doing a great job and I am happy that you are not suffering through this. 

Keep it up!!

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 252
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,560
Amount Saved: $945.00
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 13 Mins: 2 Seconds: 1

15 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't say that this is directly caused by the Chantix but the only things I've noticed is that I am more constipated than normal.

I just read my first reply to this thread and that really sounded bad. I've had some rough days and  almost gave in to the cravings a couple of times. I really do think it's like so many other things we face in life. It is a matter or will power.
Like Karen said I had started to hate the fact that I smoked . That combined with my current situation made it easier.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/13/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 32
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 480
Amount Saved: $67.20
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 22 Mins: 8 Seconds: 22

15 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

In general, I would have to say that my quit has been challenging in general. Some days are easier than others.

I also would say that I had to give up some activities that I associated with smoking: These are watching tv late, drinking more wine than usual, drinking more coffe. However, I have gained other things like feeling physical better and a much better relationship with my girlfriend.

The biggest challenge is to see yourself as a non smoker. Sometimes Its in my heas that I am in a process of quitting smoking so I am thinking about non smoking. Other days, I just dont smoke and I feel like I never smoked in my life. It is like it was never a part of me.. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 63
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,260
Amount Saved: $157.50
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 9 Mins: 29 Seconds: 50

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sometimes ashamed to say mine has been an easy quit as I know many others (including my husband) have had very difficult days.
But I have to go along with Pen, my desire to quit had grown increasingly stronger and stronger and my self loathing as a smoker was also increasing, and thus I believe had psycholgically prepared me somewhat.
However, I am never so complacent as to think there may never come a day when  a craving might strike and as a result of this I know I can not let my guard down at any time.
My biggest regret is that if I had only known how easy this was going to be I wished I had done it years ago before inflicting  long term and lasting damage on my health- as a former almost 2 pack a day smoker of 37 years I know that one day I will pay for the habit- but at this moment in time I am enjoying the freedom and luxuries afforded to non- smokers!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 96
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,400
Amount Saved: $1,440.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 7 Mins: 27 Seconds: 10

Reading this thread: