Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Can't quit -v- Won't quit!

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lolly,

I'm glad to hear that you have recovered from your last operation and are doing well. You are such a strong person, so I'm sure chemotherapy will be a breeze! I know you will remain just as positive as you have been throughout your quit
We're here for you, thanks for checking in!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Just before I quit, Lolly, I 'made' a shameful movie clip which runs in a loop in my head  - of me lying nearly prone in a La-Z-Boy, coughing my lungs up and gasping for air while at the same time trying to stop the spasms of gut-wrench so I could take another drag on a perfectly tasteless cigarette.  And the wracking coughs directly after that!?
   I always have that loop in my head now when I have to battle those craves... it ends them very very quickly!!

Good luck with the chemo... what will they give you for the nausea? I hear that an infusion of marijuana helps a good deal with that!  Thinking about you and wishing you well all the time through this trial, Lolly!!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 182
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,550
Amount Saved: $2,047.50
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 20 Mins: 13 Seconds: 31

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
great to hear from you lolly , god bless you.

mike /astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 128
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,840
Amount Saved: $1,152.00
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 21 Mins: 49 Seconds: 31

15 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Lolly!,
You have definitely been in my thoughts.
Still sending positive energy your way.
Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 264
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,560
Amount Saved: $1,663.20
Life Gained:
Days: 47 Hrs: 10 Mins: 31 Seconds: 6

15 years ago 0 222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lolly Good to see you are over the operation!

I know quite a few like that, they have themselves convinced that they love smoking they don't want to try.
I too would like to send you best wishes for a speedy recovery i'll keep you in my prayers
Good luck

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/2/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 198
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,940
Amount Saved: �2,168.10
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 7 Mins: 3 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lolly - I travel to Annecy a lot, I love Europe. France is beautiful. I hope you are feeling well and I wish you a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you.

Ass for quitters.....

I agree, there are people out there that will not quit no matter what. That's fine. That's what they define as freedom. The freedom to smoke.

I will do whatever it takes to quit. I define freedom as not smoking.

It's all in your point of view. Quitting is right for me. There are people who just do not want to. I just remember what a good friend told me once... The decisions you make today influence the decisions you can make tomorrow. I am making the decision to quit today so I can make the decision to go on a hike with my grand-kids 15 years from now. Gotta look ahead!!!

Bon Courage!!!! A+

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 12
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 360
Amount Saved: $82.80
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 0 Mins: 46 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lolly,
As you may know, I'm of the Whatever It Takes group. And I'm of the Praying for Lolly group, too. Many of us are sending you positive healing energy every day. Glad the surgery went well {hug}

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 484
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 19,360
Amount Saved: $3,291.20
Life Gained:
Days: 68 Hrs: 6 Mins: 8 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As many of you know,  I have been having tests and operations at clinics and hospitals here in France.  I have a Sarcoma in my chest cavity.  Apparently, it was not caused by 40 years of smoking.....I do find that hard to believe, but it may be so.

What has horrified me is the number of people ouside these chest clinics and hospitals, still attached to their oxygen and drips, and still smoking.  I have also never seen so many people on portable oxygen and so many people with laryngectomies (operations to remove the voice box.)  I've spoken to smokers here, and the answer is they CAN'T quit.  Occasionally I try to persuade them to think about it seriously and have another go at it, but most are adamant that they will just die smoking.  They are the WON'T quit brigade!  I suppose I was very hard headed too when I was smoking and felt that it would be impossible for me to quit.  So many of us felt the same.

When opportunity comes around and we take the decision to quit, there are also two groups....the determined NOPE group...they realise that from the moment of quit, not one puff is possible.  Then there is the MAYBE group, who are trying again, but without the sheer determination to remain smoke free whatever happens.

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!  That was one of my mantras as I tried to quit, and I did the weirdest things in order to stay smoke free.   It is a huge fight....a veritable battle....but it can be won and with the help this site and with positive thinking and determination, anyone can do it.  Once you quit, you need to look forward to the future.....to the new and great benefits of quitting, and not back to the old ways of killing yourself.

As for me......health update is:   now recovered from my last operation, I begin chemotherapy in the next 2 weeks.  Hopefully I can remain as positive during this phase of treatment as I did when quitting!

NEVER LOOK BACK.  THE FUTURE IS AHEAD!!!

Love Lolly.  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/25/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1331
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 46,585
Amount Saved: �6,655.00
Life Gained:
Days: 172 Hrs: 21 Mins: 4 Seconds: 40

• Quit Meter

$11,054.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter