Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,470 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TestingDHA, JVICTORINO, Salemoche, Salemocche, splumley

Smoking = Low Class ?

16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to admit that there were many times that I was envious of people who came from a different socioeconomic group than me. Smoking was no longer socially acceptable at work, with my family and with most of my friends and I used to hide it or apologize for it. I used to envy those people who could comfortably walk down the street with a cigarette. I know that you didn't mean anything bad John....but it does show the power of this addiction when it could make you want to have less income, less education and less opportunities just so that you could smoke????? There is stigma attached to smoking just as there is often stigma attached to being overweight....but, of course, we all know tons of people who smoke or who are overweight who are some the kindest, classiest people that we have met. Thanks for making me think....this was abit of a difficult topic but it did get us talking. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 371 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,855.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
what, what? Oh the picture of me with the swimsuit model? It's okay. Sue was there, she is the one who took the picture. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $479.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Too late, Anna. He DID & he's already been spanked! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,397.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OH NO YOU DI-ENT JOHN....[size=4]SSSSUUUUEEEE[/size] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 252 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,058.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think there is a problem in the meaning of class here - I think they are socio-economic sectors, not classes. The meaning of the word 'classy' is something undestood to be a good thing and mostly associated with 'high class' whatever that is, and somehow dividing society into classes reinforces this understanding. having said all that there are clearly sectors of society that are more likely to smoke. I have seen time and again poorer areas where everyone seems to smoke (maybe stress is a factor here with people trying to make ends meet on very low incomes and they just reach for the cig packet to try and alleviate that) - and don't we all know that the cost of cigs was never a deterrent when we smoked? Somehow we'd find the money...we'd find a way to smoke). So yeah, I think where life is hard, you'll find a higher percentage of smokers, but this has nothing to do with class - there is nothing classy about being born with a silver spoon in your hand - that's just plain luck, this is a group or sector of society. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 88 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �220.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you're nice, John. Sue said so. :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mayb I will change my photo to show that I am really a nice guy. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 136 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $476.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No restless natives, Kiwi. Just some hashing out of some differences. Bea, I think you hit it right on the head. My issue was the term "class" and you reinterpreted it just right as social norms. Thanks much! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1007 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,524.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 142 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$54,693.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 645 Hours: 20

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My, my what have we here, do i detect some unrest amongst the natives. Popcorn anyone ? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 988 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 34,580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,422.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 141 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$12,462.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 623 Hours: 11

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe what we are confusing here is this: the acceptable social norms. Every culture has them. And within each culture there are subcultures as to what is acceptable and what is not. Social norms change. One person posted that back in the day, smoking was a sign of a prestigous person. Funny thing is, back in the day - only men could smoke, it was against the law for a woman to smoke (at least in the states). Women actually fought for the right to smoke. It was socially acceptable. As time went on, much much time, it was seen as a bad thing. It took some time for it to come out, and in the beginning, only doctors would tell you to be careful. It wasn't until I hit High School that I think the surge actually caught on. That was in 1989. All the posters came out from the ACS, you remember the older ugly guy with a cig hanging from his mouth - "don't let this be you". Here is where the subculture social norm comes in - In NJ by the early 90's smoking was banned in restaurants. It was unheard of for the waitress to ask "smoking or non" it was either banned or they decided to not have it, but it spread like wildfire. People looked at you all kinds of weird if you admitted it. You hid it with everything you had. I did. A smoker was considered all those names we don't like to repeat that would refer to you as less than human. The ads were up and the news was on the street. Move to Ohio - SMOKING IS EVERYWHERE! The waitress askes you "smoking or non" there are smoke rooms for employees, and smoke breaks. People offered you a cigarette as a kind social gesture. Everyone You meet, smokes, and the non smokers - the minority. Not smoking is just now starting to take a surge in Ohio, oh I would say the last couple of years almost a full 10 years behind NJ. The ads areup, and they just recently passed a statewide smoking ban in all business establishments including bars. So My point is, I know what John is saying however, it is not class rather what is socially accepted and considered okay in a culture. Hence the different types of socio economic classes that we find in our AA meetings. Does that make sense? Bea [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12

Reading this thread: