Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Talking...what a concept

17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I dunno about anyone else, Martha and Windy, but those last posts of yours made my day. :) Just what I needed to hear!
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes penguin those darn tapes just seem to be playing on replay. Over and over again. And to stop them is almost impossible. Even recgonizing that they are just tapes playing, not the truth, is not enough. I felt this way before I started smoking, and it is it's own little addictive habit. To stop them from playing requires me finding new things to listen to. Ad sometimes it is just too much to spend so many hours each day, guiding each and every thought I have, and trying to ensure that the next thought is ot as destructive as the last. As for the garlic fingers....LOL I wish I could explain. It's a favorite of mine to begin with, like chips or ice cream for most. But since this quit started, I am having a hard time with eating. I don't crave after a meal, and I am eating more than I used to, but I just don't seem to enjoy food as much. I am not as satisfied walking away from a meal as I used to be. I not only always seem to be hungry, but I just don't enjoy what I am eating. Thats whay the garlic fingers, I think. Something I know I enjoy and can just munch on. Heat up half a dozen and just munch away. Or maybe it's just in the making. My grandmother always said that making dough was a theraputic thing. Maybe it has just taking this quit to realize I need some new way to relax and just let go. But I sure wish I would enjoy other things again. Like reading, painting, and my religious studies. I feel lately as though this fight against addiction has taken all my enjoyment out of life. How foolish is that? I should feel so much better for what I am doing, not worse. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 619 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes, I just need to talk. About nothing in particular. Just talk. Not to be alone, or to feel alone. Not to go through life alone. To be a part of something bigger then myself, my family. Should my family be enough to keep me happy. To make me want to try harder each day to improve myself, to improve my life. My kids won't be around forever, so is it wrong to want to be someone other than mom. I don't know what I want most days. i know that it is a struggle to go through each day sometimes. But I want to be happy. I want to be past this. I want friends again, not just home. How do I re-enter life after quitting smoking when I have finally realized I have not been a part of life for so long. For almost 3 years, I have just passed by day to day, not really going anywhere, not acheiving anything. Now that I am trying to acheive this, I realize what I have been missing. But now I no longer know how to go about getting it. I am scared to go back out there and find out that I am no better at life as a non-smoker than I was as a smoker. I have never finnished anything, so how can I expect to finnish this quit. I am tired of not being capable of improving my life. You would think that anyone able to quit smoking would be able to handle life. But I guess not. The only thing that I know for sure, is that smoking still is not an option. And it never will be. Sorry everyone....not feeling very positive today. I think I am tired of not being able to get this garbage out. Oh...and what is with the darn garlic fingers. For the last 24 days, almost every day, I want garlic fingers. I just can't seem to get enough of them. Maybe I should just be thankful that I have not smoked and have gained nothing since the 10 lbs in week 1. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 618 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Whynot - I can remember the discouragement I felt somewhere after the 3 week mark....The first couple weeks were spent fighting the cravings and surviving the quit...I didn't have time to "Think". Now...you hit a point where you are no longer in survival mode but you don't feel like you are "living". You are tired....You have worked hard to get where you are...Be easy on yourself and don't expect too much too soon. Life does get better after we quit but sometimes it can be 2 steps forward and one step back...Sometimes the changes are so gradual that we hardly noticed when they happened. Addiction has ruled your life for so long, it will be a little daunting to realize that you are now free to go out and "experience" life. Take your time...you are doing so well..one day at a time. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 181 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,636 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $905 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
These feelings are perfectly normal for this stage of your quit. Hang on in there, things will get better! I felt exactly the same as you in my first month of quitting - things got sooo much better as time went on. The only advice I can give at the moment is to try and stay as positive as possible through these early stages of your quit - take up excercise, or something that could help practically, too, like relaxation exercises. Then you know that at least you are doing something practical about your situation, then all you need to do is hang on in there! Hope you feel better soon. Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 222 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,341 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �666 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That certainly was a lot of talking...Sounds like you needed to get that out. Glad you did. Don't be afraid to keep doing it. You know, you are not alone in these feelings. Me included. I was just thinking this afternoon that I need to turn this no motivation thing around and soon cause I'm not liking it! Well, I'm giving myself a break on that one. Quitting smoking is a process that is going to take some time. It's going to take some time to figure all these things out. We don't know how it is all going to turn out, but maybe...just maybe.... You have a lot of old and tired tapes playing in your head. They play in my head too, but I'm just not going to listen to them anymore. They are lies, all lies. I can't do it. I'm nothing. I'll never have what I want. %&$($)$(. I think I've been wrong all these years. I just didn't know how to think or do differently. I'm want to and I'm willing to be patient and take the time to learn. Garlic fingers - not sure about that one. I need an explanation. and the weight - we'll work on that too, OK. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,214 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $690 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$330,117.68

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6021 Hours: 16

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Those last few posts made my day too. Keeping it in mind. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,233 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $701.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$330,117.68

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6021 Hours: 16

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whynot, The struggle can wear you down during the first month or two but don't lose sight of the fact that with every cigarette you don't smoke, you are winning. Have you been rewarding yourself along the way? Maybe re-evaluate why you wanted to quit and see how many of those things you've already accomplished. You have hidden the real you for a long time and it will take a bit to find yourself again under all that smoke and haze. But when you do it is a lot like Spring. You'll see a little bud pop up here and there and before you know it - there are flowers and sunshine all around. You are sort of growing into a new skin that will feel awkward for a while but at least you are feeling now. Just try not to put expectations on how, when, and what you [i]should[/i] be feeling. It gets easier and it gets wonderful. If you don't turn a corner after another month or two, then it may be time to talk to your doctor but for now...if garlic fingers work - garlic fingers you shall have! All the best [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 948 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,975 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4266 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$36,731.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 635 Hours: 8

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I ditto what Martha said....go back and read it again...it's good Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1894 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10795.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 249 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$158,819.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5338 Hours: 13

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: