Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Question!!

17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to you all for answering this. I think we have lived our lives in a hurry because of the way we thought as smokers. I didn't realize this until I came here and saw other people's comments here and there. I've always been the most energetic person in the world (was skipping the other day) (no, not on any other drugs either). But along with the energy comes that need to hurry. I can't stand listening to people who talk slow. I want to finish their sentences for them. (have been known to do it, but usually restrain myself) This hurry-up is a bunch of crap. That's probably the part I'm struggling with and want to figure out as much as anything. It's part of a smoking personality I believe. I think a person can quit smoking, but unless they consciously change their behaviors and do away with the smoking personality (I can't type fast enuf here, for myself) (kidding), they have a greater risk of going back to smoking. For every crave, I have been attacking what caused the crave and tried to figure it out, instead of worrying about the crave itself. With me, it's that "hurry" thing. There are times I have been able to slow down (far and few between), and the feeling is much nicer, and calm, where life is just peaceful and good and all feels right with the world. Random thoughts from me again... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 109 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
Yes, I did too, Imallclear. Then they grow up and go away, and you have time for things, but your mind is still in a hurry. It's weird. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 109 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
Imallclear... I wanted more of your posts as well! I think you were kidding in your last post... weren't you? I find this subject interesting, but then I have to analyze everything! Geez! I appreciate you responding back to my question, and I always love your humor!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
I just read your second post, Imallclear. Before I smoked, in the land of dinosaurs, (can I really remember that far back?), I don't think I had the "hurry up" feeling, but I was always busy and can move from one thing to another, and am a "get it done" type person. It sounds like you are the same. When you add smoking to that type of personality, I think it turns into HURRY HURRY HURRY. Thanks for your reply. Anyone else have an opinion on this? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
In his post on the Withdrawal List, Darkmyer said: [quote] This week I am going to try to think about not rushing and assuming things. Time is a most precious thing and to have more of it is one of the reasons I quit. If I spend it rushing from one thing to the next then I am bound to missing things. The target is not to cram as much experience as I can in to my time but to make sure the time I do have is used wisely and that I get the most out of it that I can. [/quote] Are all smokers in a hurry? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 109 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes. All smokers are in a hurry. I posted something a while ago about how I couldn't wait for my son to be born so I could go outside and have a smoke...very sad, but true. I rush through everything and smoking is the culprit, alright. You rush through chores to have a smoke. You rush through meetings to have a smoke. You rush through showers, lovemaking, eating, sleeping, napping, football-watching, etc., etc., etc.. Unfortunately, you miss a whole lot. I rushed through things with my kids to have a smoke. Now they're gone and I wish I had those times back. Now that I don't smoke, I'm not in a hurry to do anything. I've actually been getting to work later and later each day, not even thinking about it. Slow down and start smelling the roses (I don't think I ever actually stopped to smell a rose, either). -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 471 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$357,493.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9146 Hours: 15

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, I have noticed this more recently than earlier on in my quit. I am more relaxed. Going from one activity..even from folding laundry to doing dishes....there isn't this nagging feeling I need to be moving faster. I just had that happen tonight in fact. I just took my time moving from one task to another and I tell you what....It's a wonderful feeling not to be in a hurry. You truley are stopping to smell the roses along the way. Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,428 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $352 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the hope of them growing up Interesting. That is a thought. I'm sure I won't be able to stand it, or maybe I'll be more than ready. Anyway, on reading your subsequent post (the one about finishing other people's sentences - and one would hope that is not your spouse because that would not be cute but annoying). You're right. I have come to believe that people who pick up tiny rolled objects known by earthlings as cigarettes are actually superior intellectual beings. Yes. We are so smart that our brains move at the speed of light. We are bored by mere mortals. Up until now, only this thing known as a cigarette has been able to make us appear as normal on this earth planet(thanks to its barbaric laws, both public and social, which make this smoking thing acceptable). Otherwise we would be shot off like a rocket by our eternal energy bank. We would already have the answers to global warming, planet population growth, fuel efficiency and the common cold. Seriously, We're not stupid. Think of all we could do if we could just jump this stupid, stupid smoking hurdle. Really. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 130 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
sorry, i was already posting before you asked for the reply of others and telling me i was done. good night. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 130 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
OK, no really. In my smoke-free days, when I was about 3 years into my 11 year quit I gave birth to my first child. I quit work for a year after being a high achiever at school,then the work world. I switched to being a high achiever mother. I joined a parent/child group (do I need to say that I went on to dominate the presidency of it, another story). I met many professional women (and some men) who chose to stay at home and one in particular, Cara was making an informal study of stopping to smell the roses so to speak. So I learned in a relatively short time to be able to sit on the grass in the back yard for hours watching an infant roll over and appreciating the sun on my face, so to speak. And I appreciated the moment. By nature I'm a mover and a groover but I have come to respect that the slower you go, the better you are. There are times that my movements are a whir, but not much gets past me. I can just as easily sit for hours doing nothing and feel as though only moments have passed. And I'm glad for it. Now to relate that to my smoking which should be part of this exercise. Perhaps I already answered it by saying that I'm naturally reved and you already know that I have a tendency to smoke. Smoking does not answer an anxiousness about me. I do get anxious when I am in a crave, but I, myself, do not crave because I am anxious. Good thread. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 129 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: