Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Why did we start in the first place?

17 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was twelve when I started.My parents both smoke ,my sisters smoke and my brothers smoke.Funny I've always said I hated quitters....but I guess now I am one lol. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$249,700.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4952 Hours: 17

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Didn't anyone else start because they liked the buzz - the dizziness when smoking after not smoking for a while? I think the thing is more about that than anything else for me. Probably a lot of wanting to look cool in there, too. QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And it was more accepted then. I also started at 12 and stole from Dad, but at 16 I worked in hospitals and part of the admit package you gave the patient was AN ASHTRAY!! The nurses and doctors all smoked at the nurses station and walking down the halls, in elevators, everywhere. I remember my parents smoking in the grocery store, the theaters, malls, restaurants, you name it, you could smoke and nobody ever said "Hey, this is killing everyone around you!" I remember the first time, making a choice between smoking weed or smokes "to fit in" and chosing the smokes. Maybe wouldn't be so tough today if I'd gone the other way????? LOL But I know now it's still my choice and I chose not to smoke anything now! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 321 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember going to high school and getting the tour....They showed me the smoking area and I thought (smoking area...why would we need a smoking area? Well...it turned out that EVERYBODY hung out in the smoking area. When you're 15, self-conscious and you want to fit in/be cool it seems pretty easy to light up one of those smokes. I remember my Dad telling me that smoking was a terrible addiction and that it was hardest thing he ever did to quit....but I didn't think that I would ever become addicted. I don't think people should be allowed to purchase cigarettes till they are AT LEAST 21. Hopefully by that age, we are wise enough to make smart decisions. If only I could turn back time...and change that one decision..... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 896 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let me take you back 50 years... I started smoking..... To be cool To feel grown up To look strong Reacting to peer pressure Because my parents smoked. Because Film Stars smoked To look older(that worked!!!!) How many reasons above are still valid? None except looking older(than my years) The world has changed get with it and stay quit! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �404.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
Crikey! What did I start here? What a wonderful thread for our children and grandchildren BUMP Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,562 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �409.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
bump cos there is some great stuff in here thanks Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,582 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �414.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
I remember a UK ad for a brand called Strand 'You are never alone with a Strand' YUK!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,583 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �414.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Stuff Phil, I wanted to be like sister, I thought she was cool.(Boy was I wrong) It completed pissed my parents off.. Boy that was dumb.. Grace
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rebellion Because I didn't have a strong sense of addiction and had no idea how hard it would be to stop later on. Because the two people who I walked home from school with everyday smoked and I wanted to fit in. Because it was a bit of a rush to see if I could buy a pack of smokes even though I was underage. I have always looked younger than I really was... right now, people think I look about 18. I get a lot of people who think that I'm in high school (I'm getting ready to turn 30). So it was always a rush and a thrill to do whatever I could to buy a pack of cigarettes and convince the sales people that I was 18 without them carding me. There were so many stupid reasons for starting... I'm so glad I have at least as many, if not more, GOOD reasons for quitting! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 362 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,064 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1495.06 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18

Reading this thread: