Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Wondering, about time?

16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally missed this thread a year ago... must have been during my hiatus from the site. Anyway, time DEFINTELY passed quicker as time goes by and we become more comfortable with the quit. When we first quit, all we want is to get one week in or one month in or 1 year in or whatever... but I'd say after the first few weeks, time starts to go back to normal because we're getting used to not smoking. And when you're 2 years in, you start to wonder where the time went! I mean, I'm looking at this post thinking "Has Danielle REALLY been here over a year now?!?!" I remember when she first became a mod and it doesn't seem like that long ago! Guess I've been hanging around this site too long! LOL! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 730 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,014.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting discussion about time...does it seem slow when you first quit? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $591.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Time seems to be moving slow for me, but in a good way. For example: I'll be quit for 2 months in a couple of days ... but it seems like I have been quit for much longer than that ... and THAT is a GOOD thing imo. Kinda like when you meet someone new, but you feel like you have known them for years. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,764 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$54,486.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 8

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Riverdale Man, What a great question! It could have something to do with making the transition from smoker to non smoker. When you smoked, you probably focused on time a lot. When was my last smoke? When am I going to have my next one? Ok, i'll spend 10 minutes on this and then I'll go have a smoke. Oh it's only 3! One more hour until my break... As you learnt to break that cycle, you became less and less focused on time and more focused on keeping your mind from thinking about smoking. As you got used to this new routine, you turned around and the day had come and gone. And you progressed from there, something to think about. Danielle _____________________________ The SSC Support Team Something to think about...
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Philip, Earlier in my quit, time seemed to move slower as I would regularly monitor my quit stats. Now, I do so less, and sometimes surprise myself when I check my quit meter. Like you my next 'big date' is in August - 6 months. It seems to have gone pretty quickly! I look forward to checking my Quit Meter when it reads like that of Duffis, Penitent or even Bubba, and I look forward to the days when the thought of smoking is just a distant memory. take care Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 146 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,393 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1095 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The time seems to move by so fast. Winter has finished, spring has come and gone and summer is here and moving by quickly. I was reading back in my journal and time seemed slower at the beginning of my quit and seems to be passing by more quickly now. Does anyone else feel this? Is this a result of not smoking, having more time, being more productive? Or is it simply the way life passes. Having time that is uninterupted by the every few minutes having to step out to smoke is different and I wonder if the continuity of time and energy makes the time seem to pass more quickly?? Just wondering, looking for the experience of others. Peace Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 142 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,848 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1065 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Phillip, at the start we have to concentrate on every minute and quitting consumes our lives, we also have a lot of time to fill in as well. Now we do not think of not smoking so much as it is just what we do now and also we have found other things to do with our time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,842 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �382.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phillip, Yes, time goes by MUCH slower in the beginning... I swear the first week took a year! Everyone keeps telling me it was only a week, but I still just can't believe that! I think that when you're having that many cravings, you notice every single minute. Except, you can't concentrate on anything due to the carbon monoxide leaving. The only thing that you can focus on is the massive amounts of cravings you're undergoing. Therefore, time seems to go by much slower. I relate it to kids and how Christmas takes forever to get here! The same is true with the cravings ending... it's like we think they NEVER will! Not only that, so much is happening when you quit... your body is returning to "normal." Adjustments are being made in your body and in your mind and it "seems" to take forever and thus, it plays mind tricks with us during this time. Fortunately, this does go away and time returns to normal... thank goodness! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 254 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,364 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1049.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The temporal anomoly of quitting. I remember it well. :gasp: Week 1 = 6 months Week 2 = 3 months Week 3 = 2 months Week 4 = 1 month So at your 1 month date, you've been quit a year! And the progress toward normal time continues at an ever-slowing rate until you eventually return to real time living. That point is different for everyone, but everyone does reach it. I think the anomoly is the result of the amount of attention your quit requires. As that requirement diminshes, time speeds up. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 412 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,251 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1565.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 76 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 344 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Philip, I think you are right (mind you they say time goes faster as you get older lol!) At the beginning of a quit every second seems like an hour and every hour seems like a year but as we get more settled and stop thinking about smoking 24/7 we start to actually get involved with other things (i.e. not just marking time until the next fix) and before we know it an hour / morning/ day has passed. Keep strong, Linda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �285 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$531,238.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5381 Hours: 9

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: