Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Didn't know that it would be this way!!??!!

17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is amazing what we used to put other people through and how oblivious we were to the stench and pervasiveness of our "little habit". No wonder my nonsmoking friends and relatives avoided coming to my house as much as possible. Glad you made it through it. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,862 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $639 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I certainly agree with you Phillip. The smell is so vile. Now I do enjoy the smell of a fresh lit cig, every now and then, but after a few seconds, that wonderful smell gets nausiating and discusting!!! My sister-in-law opened my door, and I was only about 8 feet away at my computer, and when she opened the door, a rush of ashtray smell raced in. I almost died..... It was so rancid. I usually have to hold my breath around her. She stinks. Horribly. I don't even want her inside my house. Her smell follows her............ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,698 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $183.12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Phillip - Glad that you have a great time away. I have been delaying going over to my in-laws house since I quit because I felt like being around them would make me want to smoke. My husband was not able to quit (although he really tried) but he is smoking way out in the back yard and I hardly ever see or smell it. I was afraid. We went over the other night and I thought that if I didn't get out of there with that horrible second hand smoke I was going to scream! It smelled so horrible and all I could think of was that scummy stuff was going into my lungs (very selfish of me). But when I got home all I could think about was my lovely mother-in-law who has battled breast cancer sitting there with that ugly thing sticking out of her mouth and my father-in-law with Parkinson's just smoking away. It broke my heart. I am at a crossroads here - do I continue to go over there and not say anything? or do I just not go over there anymore and have them come to my house? They don't smoke here. Sorry to ramble - but what you have dealt with this week really came home to me. Hope you had a great vacation. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 687 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$1,702,687.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5858 Hours: 18

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I am on the last bit of being away. I head home Monday. This weekend is being spent in Indiana and we are here for a ninetieth birthday of a long time friend. We went for lunch today with some elderly friends and they smoked in their home. We were there for four and a half hours and I could not excuse myself to walk around the block. My eyes are about puffed closed and I have had to have a shower and encase my cloths in a laundry bag. I feel sick to my stomach. It is like I had a smoke. Simply being in their home and knowing that the house was actually filled with smoke at points in time. I knew when they would go off to the kitchen and smoke away. I thought I would be harder on them more judgemental and really at the base of everything I simply wanted to get out and get out of that smokey environment. I feel sorry for these folks they are elderly and they seem like they have escaped the really life taking disease and must simply cough and choke and move slowly. What a lesson. I most certainly did not enjoy this and I got to learn a great deal about what it must have been like being around me 10 weeks ago. I also just knew I needed to be outside in the sun and there is only grey and rain today. Oh well we had sun every other day this week. I am so hugely grateful to myself, and proud of myself for giving me my life back and taking control of what I breath in and what I smell like and simply how Iwill be in the world. Phillip in the drivers seat not the pack of smokes! Cheers Hope you are all well. Thanks for reading [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,433 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $532.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
I didn't know it would be like this cause being around smokers, in their homes, in the restaurants, bars and just by them exhausts me. There is nothing inspirational, luscious, wonderful about being in these smoke filled places. I thought I WOULD CAVE. THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE JUST BROUGHT ME CLOSER TO MY REASONS FOR BEING QUIT. AND I really hated the smell. As many of you who read what I write I am not big on hatered of anything and I really found the smell distastful and really vile. Man, 36 years of that and I put it on everyone around me. For my ignorance I apologise. For how cruel and self centred that was to all of those around me I am truly sorry. I just hope I can wash this whole thing off and that I will not dream or be thinking about how bad this was. Lots learned hear in the intellectual capital of Indiana. Lots of very personal growth info right here. Thanks Phillip :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,438 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $532.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
Love the imagery Rusty. Love filling your chest on the way in and being sent out to surround you on the exhale. How yogic, peaceful loving. I never would have thought that I had that peaceful part in me. I always considered myself the type A personality driven, controlling and demanding. I just can't do that any more. I don't know what it is and my tendency is to put it all onto the quitting smoking and I simply think that it is not, at least not the chemical part of the quit. There is a whole piece of me that is different and less driven. As for the control thing there is a whole different me that sees what goes on in the world and I have to take a step back and let the universe provide. What is the 12 step saying "let go and let God". Didn't think I could do that 6 months ago and I guess it is simply time to "let go" cause I most certainly know that I really can not live the way I was living. So even thought it is "let go and let god" it is still me in the drives seat. Every moment every hour that I simply choose to live. Live and breath and inhale the love and surround the world with the love as I breath out! Thanks Rusty. Thanks Rob47 for seeing into me. How much like intimacy is that? Have a lovely day where ever you are. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,452 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $540 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad you made this discovery, Philipp. Some of these lessons we're learning fit the old 'bad tasting medicine' analogy. They don't taste so good but they're good for us. I've been getting my doses. Man, we sure did used to stink. Every time I think about how annoying the smell is, I have to remind myself that that used to be me. Thank God it's not anymore. Hope you had a great trip. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/foot006.gif[/IMG] Cheers for you. You are Awesome Cuddles It's better to be a non smoker with an occastional desire for a cig than a smoker with a constant desire to quit...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 153 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
good for you phillip.it is tough to be around all that smoke but the raw stench does seem to make you want to stay quit even more
17 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It�s quite an eye opener isn�t it? I only have 2 friends who still smoke (I was about the last of the dinosaurs), and they�re closet smokers. Haven�t had to be around people who smoke except for strangers in public settings. The area that most affected me was immediately outside of a hospital in South Carolina � WOW � the entire section smelled like an ashtray. I�m so glad not to be one of them anymore. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 360 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$472,212.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5381 Hours: 9

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: