Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Can money buy happiness?

14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To an extent, I say yes, only because if I had some, the bills would be paid
and I wouldn't be here trying to get my depression back under control.
Enough said.

14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's so true.  Money can't buy happiness but the way you spend it can definitely help.  for instance, I have friends who buy a big house but then they spend all their time cleaning it and maintaining it.  It's crazy.  I much rather have a little house and take a lot of vacations :))
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley, I'm not a shopper first of all.  I'm not a compulsive buyer.  I make a list, get what I need and get out.  I've always been that way.  It took me three years to buy a new vacuum cleaner.  lol, I wanted the best deal, but the prices kept going up every year! 

I don't think money buys happiness.  I think it can lead to more issues.  I'm not a material girl.  However, vacations - now you are talking, though I don't travel as much as I'd like.  I used to have a massage therapist come to my home, now that was awesome, but was more for therapeutic benefit due to a neck issue.  Nothing better than an in-home total body massage.  I'd do it again for the heck of it if I could afford it, but since I had to retire that's not in my budget.  I'm saving for vacations.  lol

That's my 2 cents worth.  I can certainly see why they reached the conclusions that they reached.

14 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Members,

An interesting article was found on msnbc news today. The article discussed money and happiness. Clearly money cannot buy happiness and often spending will only lead to temporary joy and possibly even further depression if you feel guilt about your purchases. The article did however give tips on how to spend your money to get the most bang for your buck, in terms of happiness. If you are thinking of treating yourself and doing a little shopping here are some of their tips:

Buy a vacation instead of a spa treatment: Although the price is more; researchers say that the effect on short term and long term sense of wellbeing is far greater than any amount of spa treatments. Getting away from your normal routine and environment has positive effects. The change in perspective you may gain could change the way you view the world forever and leave a lasting effect.

Buy makeup instead of clothes: It is true looking good makes you feel good. But you do not have to get a whole new wardrobe sometimes a new tube of lipstick will do the trick. Plus, you can use the lipstick everyday while an outfit you cannot enjoy as often.

Upgrade your bedroom instead of your living room: You can’t put a price tag on a good night’s sleep. Sleeping well greatly affects your mood and overall wellbeing. You may want to impress your guests with a nice new couch but in the long run that new mattress or sheets will have a more positive effect on your mood.

Get a gym membership instead of equipment for your home: Working out with friends adds to the motivation and social aspect of working out. If you find working out more fun you will be more likely to commit and feel it is worthwhile.

Buy a gift for your friend instead of yourself:  Being generous always boosts the mood. Think about that magazine and fruit smoothie you bought; wouldn’t it have been so much sweeter if that money was spent on a surprise for a friend or family member? Not to mention charities; you can get a warm glow from knowing you are helping those in need

Members, what do you think about money and happiness? What do you think about the information in this article?

To read more please visit: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32801201

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: