Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Setting goals: Always a challenge for me

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think the bigest reward is knowing that I completed each task and the satisfaction from it. Also, as I complete each goal I will gain more confidence in myself increasing my self-estheem and starting new goals.

If I skip any goal I will try not beat myself up. Instead, I will recognize that I skipped the goal and do it as soon as possible. The plan is to review my goals everyweek to remind me what goals I need to work on.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That sounds great eleveno.

How will you be rewarding yourself for each item?  

What will happen if you skip a day of meditation or a week away? I ask only because you should have a plan in place so that you don't get discouraged if you do not meet your goal.

Keep us updated on how you are doing with your goals?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hello Ashley. I will choose 3 goals for now:
  • cleaning and arranging my home office - 2 weeks to have the job done
  • meditate 10 minutes a day
  • going to the country side or near the sea 1 time a week

When I get used to these goals I will be incorporating another ones, very slowly. The goal that could have more impact in my life is looking for a new job but I am not prepared to deal with it as it seems an overwhelming task for now. Maybe later when I get more practice working on goals I will be feeling more confident to pursue a new job.

These are great goals!  All will have a direct affect on your mood and health.

There are a lot of them though! Taking on too many goals at once can be overwhelming.  I suggest focusing on one or a few and sticking with that. Reward yourself when you achieve these goals. Once you feel confident that these goals are more ingrained in your behaviour and lifestyle then move on to integrating more goals. 

How to pick which goals? I suggest picking the ones you are most excited about or will make the biggest impact but the choice is yours.

Ashley, Health Educator

Hello Ashley. Right I am working on one goal: cleaning and arranging my home office so I can have productive time at home. I estimate 2 weeks to have this job done.

I am also considering other goals to work on:
  • Looking for a new job (even with this economy) – search positions and send minimum 2 resumes a week
  • going to the gym or jogging 2 times a week
  • meditate 10 minutes a day
  • cook 2 meals a week
  • clean my home 2 times a month
  • going to the country side or near the sea 1 time a week
  • doing a pleasant activity everyday
  • read 1 book per month
Hi Eleveno,

Goal setting can be tricky. It sounds like you are already getting the idea, making the goals reasonable.  Here are some other tips to follow:

Make sure your goals are SMART
Specific- You clearly outline what you want to achieve. For example, "I will clean out the entire office, office closet and desk. Throwing out all old papers and storing items I do not use often."
Measurable - Ensure that you can measure your success. For example, you wouldn't say, "I am going to eat more vegetables" you would say, "I am going to eat at least 5 servings of vegetables today."
Attainable - Pick a goal that is challenging but not totally unattainable. Be reasonable and realistic when setting goals otherwise goals can be counter productive and demoralizing.
Resonant - Ok, many other people working in Health  would say that this step is realistic but as a coach we call the R in SMART Resonant.  Make sure the goal resonants with you. Does it excite you? Does it motivate you? Are you looking forward to having this goal achieved? Is it challenging enough to make you a tiny bit nervous? It is important to you?
Time Stamped - Make sure that you put a deadline on the goal. When do you have to complete the goal? For example, "I will have the office cleaned by Feb. 10th." Adding deadlines is important and good for fighting off procrastination.

Including all these elements to your goal will make the goal more motivating and likely more easy to reach.

How would you tweek your current goal? Or what are some new goals you would come up with considering the above?

Ashley, Health Educator
I am on session 2 and one of the things that I always had problems with was setting goals. Maybe I set goals too high and never achieved them causing some frustrations because of this. Now I am starting slowly and setting more reasonable goals. This week I am working in the goal: cleaning and arrange my home office. I broke this goal in smal steps and just started with the first step.

Reading this thread: