Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Exercising... it really DOES work!!! :)

a year ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Bump!

Exercise or movement is essential for your mental health. How do you try to keep active?

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wellandhappy,

Thanks for letting us know about all of your accomplishments! You sound proud of youself and you should be. Keep listening to your body, slow and steady wins the race!

Keep us posted.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jonie, Thanks for the great advice, definitely taking it on board :) One thing that has helped me is to keep a tracker of my days. Basically I have an old fashioned calendar where I make little remarks that help me track my daily work (I give myself a little star if I had a 'good' day at work -as in, no procrastination), I also track my period, diet, mood and exercise there. Is so helpful because is helping me to weekly evaluate my results and is great to see how everything ties up together very nicely, i.e. if it was a productive day at work, it is usually accompanied by a good mood and exercise. I have never kept track of my days to this level of detail and is definitely very helpful, I would recommend it to anyone starting this program. Of course journaling is better, but if you don't feel ready to journal just yet, this is a great start. Is been 5 weeks since I started my exercise program and I feel great. I've only felt slight discomfort a couple of days, but the 'good' kind - as in when you lift weights and your muscles are sore the next day, the 'nice' kind of soreness if you know what I mean. Mood wise I feel much better when I exercise, because even if I had a 'bad day' (at work, or I felt depressed, etc.), at least I feel accomplished because I made it to the gym. This last week I made it to the gym 6 times out of 7, which itself is a huge accomplishment as my average attendance to the gym last year used to be zero days per month lol. I feel comfortable with this level of exercise, I actually would like to do more but I know is just my impatient side talking (wanting immediate changes/gratification) so I just keep telling to myself that I am already doing so well and no more exercise is needed nor recommended - I don't want to burn out :) Last Friday I felt a bit tired, it was a long, busy week at work, I had just got my period, and I had been following a balanced, yet strict diet. So I felt the need to take the day off, and I did. Stayed at home, and watched a movie instead. So I think I am even learning to listen to my body's needs in order to achieve a good balance. I'm so happy for these accomplishments. Good luck with your exercise program Jonie!!
13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wellandhappy!

I am really happy to hear that your exercise goals are going so well :) I'm about to start exercising properly myself and it is really encouraging to hear a first-hand account of it making a difference.

In regards to your concern about doing too much too soon, I think the key to avoiding this is to regularly evaluate how you're feeling. Maybe at the end of each week, you can spend a few minutes thinking about how you're feeling physically and mentally about it. Are you getting more fatigued, muscle pain or discomfort? Did sustain any injuries? Are you feeling overwhelmed? Then adjust your routine accordingly.

Anyway, best of luck :)

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wellandhappy!

This is great!

Keep your goal to motivate you, to rise to the challenge.  Introduce different exercises to spice it up and keep it interesting!

Yoga
Pilates
Spin class
Zumba class
Belly dancing class
karate
Tai chi

The world is your exercise mat!

Josie, Health Educator
Hello again!!

I just wanted to celebrate a success with you all.

Now that January is gone, today I took some time to review my exercise calendar, which is where I am keeping track of my excercise sessions.

My goal for the month was to exercise at least 3 times per week.

So today I counted how many days I exercised during the month of January.

And out of 31 calendar days of the month....

I exercised...

(drums.....)

23!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM THRILLED!!!!

I can't believe that not only was I successful at accomplishing my goal (12 excercise sessions during the month) but that I almost did as TWICE as the amount of exercised I had set for my goal!! :)

Now, for the month of February, I have set the goal of 16 exercise sessions (4 per week). I figured since for January I 'overachieved', I want to keep things rolling and the challenge on. But I also don't want to set a goal that is too high because I don't want to set myself for dissapointment. 

I would welcome any thoughts on this because I am thinking that perhaps this month I was over motivated and perhaps I wont' be able to keek this level of motivation through February. Or perhaps I will and I should keep a goal that is challenging.

I think one of the problems depressed people have (at least I do) is that we are so eager to get better that sometimes we set goals who are too high. I have made this mistake over and over again only to fail over and over again. And I don't want to fail this time. So any comments, feedback will be much appreciated?!

THANKS AND YAY FOR EXERCISE!!! 
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome!

Keep us updated on how you are doing with this goal!

Sounds great so far!  Be sure to reward yourself to reinforce the behaviour and to celebrate you!

Ashley, Health Educator
Well, I am already using this experience to challenge myself into going to the gym more often. I plan to use the positive gym experiences as my 'supporting evidence' that exercise is good for me and will definitely make me feel much better, especially on a bad day or when I feel I can't be bothered going. I keep telling to myself that all I need to do after work is change into my gym clothes and go downstaris (I'm very lucky to have a gym at my building), that is the 'difficult' part, because once I'm there I will exercise of course, and I will feel much better. So just change change change my clothes and go go go to the gym. So far the formula is working very well :)
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is great!

What are the possibilities from here?  How will being aware of this affect you?

Ashley, Health Educator
Funny, I just read this on begnning of Lesson 5:

"Remember, the only two way to stop the downward spirals of depression is to change behaviors and challenge thoughts.  Challenging behaviors and thoughts will lead to other changes in your mood. In contrast, trying to challenge feelings doesn’t work."

I guess that's why (or how) the exercise works... today I didn't try to change my feelings (it wouldn't have worked anyway), but I did change my behaviour, I went to exercise instead of saying defeated on the sofa, and boy, did it work to change my mood!! :)

Reading this thread: