Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

First post, new here

6 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back!

I am so happy to hear you are feeling hopeful. Depression and fatigue can be so debilitating. Good for you for getting proper treatment and not giving up on yourself! That takes a lot of courage and determination. What do you want to remember about what you have gone through? What is the take away piece do you think?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've come back, been away from this site for a few months.  I see things a bit differently now, I can absorb more of what I'm reading now.  I am starting up with the tools and will do my best to get each session's homework completed.  The medications do seem to help but it took a long time to work out all the issues I had.  Fatigue lasted way beyond what it should have and it took a while to find the medical reason for it.  Now that I have some energy I think I can do this  :)

7 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Super Girl for your response.  I think i may have moved along too fast joining this group.  i don't have a therapist yet, i did not feel like calling the 1 800 number  : /

I will try to connect with someone next week I hope.  
7 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I try to remember that it's not my fault that I have depression. It is an illness. I have bad days and I have good days. It makes me think about times when I've set out to lose weight, some days I do a good job "controlling" myself by eating healthy, and some days I just go off he rails and eat a whole bag of Reese's peanut butter cups. Yeah, I didn't do such a good job that day but that doesn't mean that tomorrow can't be better. I felt really guilty and ashamed when I quit therapy because my psychiatrist wasn't a good fit for me, but I feel good about taking a step toward managing my depression my seeing a psychiatrist and by joining this site.
I have been trying to function normally but have had so many breakdowns I am now out of sick leave.  My doctor has increased my dosage of escitalopram and is being very supportive.  I have trouble just being this way.  I am ashamed that I cannot keep better control of my feelings.  He says I have many stressors that are out of my control and the meds may help me deal with them better.  Right now I have a hard time believing that.  I have seriously thought of dying but I can't tell anyone that.  I feel like I am letting everyone down, family friends and coworkers.  It is almost a year since my mother died, and my father is quite ill now too.  This just brings me to tears and I can't stop crying.  
7 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Scilla,

I am sorry to hear you have been feeling this way. Getting a diagnosis, medication and a program to work on are all excellent steps forward. Take your time with the program. If you can work on one thought record a day and one section of the program a week that would be more then enough. It has been a few days since you posted last. How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just joined this group too. I've had depression almost my whole life. I wish you well on your journey here. You're right - it is really hard to tell people about struggling with depression. There is still such a stigma with mental illness. I have kept my depression secret from everyone except for my husband and two close friends. It's easier somehow to talk about my OCD-related problems than depression. Perhaps because some of these things are pretty obvious to the outside world and hard to disguise! When I'm stuck in a negative spiral I try to remind myself to take things one small bit at a time. I can focus on doing the small things and try to avoid getting overwhelmed by the big picture. Hugs, Super Girl
This is my first experience with a group like this.  I have been diagnosed with depression by my doctor.  I broke down crying in his office.  I am on my 3rd week of the medication, escitalopram.  It helped almost immediately with the anxiety attacks I was getting.  I have been struggling with energy levels, and trying to keep things looking normal.  I let my partner know about my depression, but no one else knows.  I have trouble getting through the day at work.  Left early today because I knew I was making mistakes due to inattention.  Its just adding to the stress I feel.  My short term memory is not so good and I am not sure I even understand what the next step of this program is.  Tried doing the mood tracker this week but not sure if I'm doing it right.  

Reading this thread: