Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,478 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Where does social anxiety come from?

10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tough question to answer Samantha... because I couldn't remember where or how I was a year ago.  Had to go do some digging.  What I found does not make me happy.  I am exactly as the same place I was last year at this time... depressed, anxious, self-loathing, having relationship "issues" 

I did come out of that last  year and trust I will again this time around, but right now I am just very, very, very sick of it all.  Very disappointed and disgusted with myself.  Such a massive slippery slope.  I should not be surprised.  but I am.  What's worse is that I can't remember how to get out of it.  I know the answer is here... so I'm beginning the program again.  It is going slower than I would  like... but it's going.

Thanks for asking me to look back and compare.  It really is an eye opener. 
10 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Uh-huh, yes, terrible shy as a youngster. Now I'm 52 and still waiting to grow out of it, as I was promised I would. I agree with ~m - 'Social Anxiety' and shyness are different names for the same thing. And it's all about fear.

I don't think I learnt this from my parents. It's something I achieved all on my own.
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m!

Thank you for sharing.  I hope you have been doing well!  How would you say you are today compared to 1 year ago?  
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh yes I was described as "shy" as a child... teased about it... told to get over it.  I definitely got it from my parents but not inherited... more like instilled... fear. We were schooled to believe early on that everything we did in public directly reflected upon the parents and could endanger the father's career.  Thus, we were each directly responsible for whether or not there was food on the table.  Such a lovely black and white world.  Not knowing exactly what was expected in various settings made it all the more appealing to be silent and invisible so as to not make a mistake that would bring about social ruin to the family.  That's so funny  how much we truly believed that cr*p and still labor under the weight of it all.  Social Anxiety? Shyness?  Is the same thing really... just more acceptable these days to call it "Social Anxiety" and provide medication to "cure" it.  If only.

10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

The cause of Social Anxiety Disorder is still not yet fully understood. Some theorize that children learn shy behavior from their parents but it seems even more likely that there’s a genetic component to being shy. About 10% of children are described as being “high in behavioral inhibition” or shy, which means that they’re fearful in new social situations. This shyness seems to negatively progress throughout adolescence.

Most adolescents are very self-conscious and spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think about them. Most adolescents experience some anxiety in some social performance situations. If a shy child hits adolescence and becomes extremely self-conscious and worried about what other people think, that adolescent can be at risk for developing Social Anxiety Disorder.

Where you shy when you were younger? 

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: