Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Why Am I Always Told To Work The Program? Part II

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing!

It has been a pleasure to witness your growth and progress.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for posting this Ashley... a lot has changed since I first started getting help with my depression (30+ years ago).  I could tell you a lot of funny stories about mis-diagnosies and a myriad of botched counseling.  (Well... it's funny now, but wasn't back then when I was desperately looking for help and willing to try anything!)  

Somehow or the other I've stumbled upon a cobbled together approach which seems to match the CBASP system you describe.  The CBT methods taught here have given me the tools to change the negative behaviors and thought patterns I recognized with the help and support of my therapist.  The therapy itself has been helpful, but slow and sometimes tortuous.  It's like filtering my experiences and thoughts through my therapist to change the negative feelings about myself into positive ones. This requires a great deal of trust in (and dependence on)  her and her perceptions of me.

Adding the CBT methods and challenges somehow puts me more in the driver's seat and has been very empowering.  It's helping me to challenge and change my own perceptions of myself and my world.  Maybe CBT digs deeper into the thinking process and less into the feelings involved???

It has been an interesting journey... fur sur  
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Here is part 1 ~m:

Psychotherapy for depression works. Psychotherapy for depression works at least as well as
medication and may be better than medication at preventing recurrence. There is now also an effective psychotherapy for those with chronic depression that has lasted for years. A combination of medication and psychotherapy may be the most effective treatment for many people.

Self-Help and Support Groups
Self-help and support groups are the least expensive approach to managing depression, and are very helpful for some people. A group of about 5 to 10 people meet weekly and share their experiences, encouraging each other to cope effectively with their depression. Group members are in charge of the sessions. Often family members are invited to attend these groups, and at times a therapist or other depression expert may be brought in to share insights with group members.

Psychotherapies for Major Depressive Disorder
A lot of evidence shows the effectiveness of two types of short-term (10 to 20 weeks) psychotherapy. More specifically, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) have been found helpful for major depression. More recently, Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP) has emerged as an effective treatment for chronic depression and dysthymia.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapists focus on changing behavior, thinking, and mood. According to CBT theory, our thoughts, moods and behaviors are all closely related. Put simply, how we think and what we do effects how we feel. CBT therapists help patients to change the negative styles of thinking and behaving often associated with depression.

Interpersonal Therapists focus on relationships. According to IPT theory, regardless of what causes depression, depression is associated with loss, life changes and lack of close and supportive social relationships. The focus of therapy is to improve the patient's personal relationships by changing the patterns of behavior in those relationships.

Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP) is a research-based psychotherapy that combines Cognitive and Interpersonal principles. CBASP was designed to help motivate patients to change their behavior and achieve their desired outcome in life. The emphasis in therapy is on helping people build new problem-solving and relationship skills. Research has shown CBASP to be just as effective as medication treatment in a large sample of chronically depressed patients. Even more impressive is that in that study 85% of chronically depressed people who received a combination of CBASP and medication therapies responded to treatment and some of those who responded had been depressed for over 20 years!

What has your experience with psychotherapy been like?

Ashley, Health Eductor
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been using a combination of medication, CBT, psychodynamic therapy and psychoeducation to treat MDD. Since I am much better now I decided to slow down a little bit.
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where can we find Part I of this topic?
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Remember: More than 80% of people with MDD improve when they receive appropriate treatment.

Research indicates that mild to moderate MDD often can be treated successfully with either medication or psychotherapy alone. However, severe depression appears more likely to respond to a combination of psychotherapy and medication. Many people probably do best with combination of medication and psychotherapy: medication for relatively fast symptom relief and psychotherapy to help the person to learn more effective ways to deal with life's problems, including depression. Some people, however, cannot be on medication for various reasons (e.g., pregnancy). One type of treatment is better than none at all. The most important step is getting help.

In general, severe and recurrent MDD may require medication (or ECT under special conditions) along with, or preceding, psychotherapy for the best outcome.

Psychosocial Treatments for Bipolar Disorder
As an addition to medication, psychosocial treatments - including certain forms of psychotherapy are helpful in providing support, education, and guidance to people with bipolar disorder and their families. Studies have shown that psychosocial interventions can lead to increased mood stability, fewer hospitalizations, and improved functioning. A licensed mental health professional typically provides these therapies and often works together with the psychiatrist to monitor a patient's progress. At best, the number, frequency, and type of sessions are based on the treatment needs of each person. Psychosocial interventions commonly used for bipolar disorder are cognitive behavioral therapy, psychoeducation, family therapy, and a newer technique, interpersonal and social rhythm therapy.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) helps people with bipolar disorder learn to change inappropriate or negative thought patterns and behaviors associated with the illness, as well as respond more effectively to stress.

Psychoeducation involves teaching people with bipolar disorder about the illness and its treatment, and how to recognize signs of relapse so that early intervention can be sought before a full-blown illness episode occurs. Psychoeducation also may be helpful for family members. Family therapy uses strategies to reduce the level of distress within the family that may either contribute to or result from the ill person's symptoms.

Interpersonal and Social Rhythm helps people with bipolar disorder both to improve interpersonal relationships and to regularize their daily routines. Regular daily routines and sleep schedules may help protect against manic episodes.

As with medication, it is important to follow the treatment plan for any psychosocial intervention to achieve the greatest benefit.

What treatments are you utilizing at the moment?

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: