Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,489 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Facebook on the Depression Center?

12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think it's a great idea, for much the same reasons as Jacques and ~m. Facebook use carries with it all sorts of social pressure which can be counterproductive and there is the big issue of confidentiality and losing the security we feel posting here.

Facebook fosters a false sense of self-importance and makes it easy to be indiscreet and unwise, to post personal stuff and then to realise, too late, that you are sharing it with the whole world and their dog. That's why, after a few weeks using Facebook to see what the fuss was about, I stopped and now deeply dislike it.

So, in a nutshell, I'm a no.
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

That would be a definite "NO" for me.  I love facebook to keep up with extended family members and to see everybody's pictures.  But it is like an online cocktail party... where most "talking" is light and fluffy and often not very real.  

The Evolution Health forums, however, are people sharing their pain and fear and the real life dark side that we would never bring up at a cocktail party or company picnic.  Members are open and quite vulnerable here which is necessary to make progress. I would not want my fb "friends" and any "friends of friends" to be able to see what I share here.  Mental health issues still carry great stigma in society and I am not one to "out" myself... it's painful enough being private about it and only sharing with those who also suffer and understand (or are trained to help and held to certain confidentiality standards).
12 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have nothing against Facebook itself, however I would be against linking Facebook to the depression center. The current setup allows for confidentiality. People can use pseudonyms and many do. This limits the hesitation for 1st time users.

As soon as Facebook linking is implemented new users might be even more hesitant to join as they feel a pressure to use Facebook login. Secondly a group users may join who are using Facebook logins and pressure other users to start using Facebook logins. This could result in people who really need the support to feel even more isolated.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members,

Our team here has been discussing adding a feature to the Depression Center that would give you the option of connecting your facebook account to the Depression Center. Possible things you could do would be linking discussions you create to your facebook account, have notifications when you complete milestones on yor facebook account, etc.  It wouldn't be manditory that you connect your Facebook account to your Depression Center account, it would just be an option.

We are just in the idea phase of this potential upgrade but before moving forward we wanted to run the idea by everyone here. We anticipate that this could be a controversial topic as some people would not want to sharewith their facebook friends what they are doing on the Depression Center.  However, some people might want to be open about what they do here.

What are your thoughts on this?  Please share openly!  Again, we will be carefully considering all member feedback before moving forward with this project.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: