Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

How´s your summer?

12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Ashley, I see what you meant now.
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pete,

When looking at anything there are positive and negative ways of seeing things.  When we recognize that the way we are looking at a situation may be negative it is a great opportunity to reassess and try to find a different way to view the situation that still works for us but is more positive.  By looking at situations with a more positive lens we are then able to feel more positive.  Now this isn't easy; especially when depressed but trying to challenge negative ways of viewing the world is a big part of CBT. Remember you can chose how to look at a situation.

By refocusing you would not focus on why you do not like summer but on other thoughts.  An example for reframing I can give you may not work for you but it will give you an idea.  You mention that you feel guilty because you cannot afford to take your family on vacation.  Some of the best vacations do not require any money and to be honest many expensive vacations may distract from what's really important, connecting and spending quality time with your family.  In fact even the process of coming up with a creative and inexpensive way to spend your time during the holidays can be a bonding experience.  Having a games day, a water fight day, going for a hike/walk etc.

Members, what are your thoughts on this?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley

With all due respect, I'm not sure what you mean by reframing and refocusing the reasons for my dislike of this season. Could you explain a bit more, if you don't mind, because I can't undertsand how I can put a positive spin on any of it?

thanks

Pete
Getting out to nature sounds like a great way to reconnect with yourself and calm. Thank you for sharing.

Pete, 

I'm sorry to hear all the frustrations you are having. However, it sounds like there are lots of areas in your points where you could reframe or refocus.  How do you want to look at summer? Where can you find value in summer?

Ashley, Health Educator
In answer to the original question. What does summer mean to me?

I'm sorry to say that I'm one of those who doesn't like the summer. So what does it mean to me?

• being too hot/freaked out by bright sunshine (I have a low physical tolerance for heat and bright light)
  • listening to everyone else go on about what a lovely/beautiful day it is, when I find the weather a test of endurance (am I a vampire???)
  • feeling guilty because I can't afford to take my family on a holiday
  • never knowing how much/how little to wear
  • feeling under pressure to go out, when all I want to do is stay inside in the shade
  • when the weather is hot, my neighbours fling their doors and windows open and play their dreadful music at ridiculous volume, intruding into the very heart of my home and leaving me no place to find peace and rest
  • when the weather is hot, my other neighbours have endless stinking barbecues in theor garden and play their horrible music

Horrid time of year

12 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

In a single word.... Desperation !!!

The night before I had a night full of nightmares and panic..I kept waking myself up all night long in a panic because I was dreaming I was suffocating..This was a wake up call for me that I needed to do something different if I wanted to get well and healthy again...So I did what I knew would help me the most...I left the house and went out into nature where I could get some fresh air and breath again..

Sid
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sid,
I'm glad you're feeling better this evening.  A little sun and fresh air does wonders for the mind, body & soul!  What has helped motivate you to get outside today?

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So far I have been feeling kind of down this summer..

In order to deal with this I took up reading again this summer but that was just not enough to get me out of the slump I have been in and I felt I needed to get outdoors more....Today I decided I was going to quit worrying about how I look and quit locking myself up in the house.Today I took a break for the panic center and depression center. I decided to get brave and put on my bathing suit and go to the the beach to walk and swim and enjoy some time in the great outdoors and get a little sun....I had a really good time and am feeling so much better now...So I have decided that I am going to try to spend some time outdoors in nature every day from now on...Or at least every other day.This may be just what I need to do if I want to be happy, healthy and  have some balance in my life...

Red/Sid

Members,

How’s the summer been?  
Are you being active about your progress?
What do the summer months mean to you?  

Many individuals love this time of year, yet many do not.  Share with us and let us know what you are doing to progress through this and how you get the most out of your day.

It is important to remember that step by step we learn and grow.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: