Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Sitting: Can sitting too much negatively impact your health?

13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One thing I have noticed from keeping my thought diary is that mindless net surfing increases my anxiety level
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

It has been found that prolonged hours of sitting can actually be detrimental to your health. Sitting for long periods of time on a regular basis has been linked to a variety of health problems such as cardiovascular disease. Furthermore, exercising for a few hours a week does not necessarily make up for the risk. The important thing is to try and get up and move around as often as possible. If you work at a desk all day, try to get up every once in a while and move your body! In fact, when standing you burn three times more calories than when sitting.

How will you incorporate more movement into your daily routine? How do you make sure to be active and on your feet?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sitting/AN02082 Retrieved on August 11th, 2010.  

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: