Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Need some motivation? Set some goals!

14 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Goofy!

You will have to tell us how it goes!  It's great that you are excited about this.  Keep reminding yourself of how good it will feel to get it all done and that should keep your excitement and motivation up! 

Great work! 

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've got someone coming to help me start tomorrow tearing up the carpet.  She asked me where to start and I said I don't know, I'll let you decide.  She has experience and I don't, so I conceded to that.  Also due to being overwhelmed (but I did'nt say that to her).  I'm kind of excited and cleaning house so that I won't have dirty laundry in the way (haven't done it in three weeks - out of clothes, wash clothes, towels, etc.)  Also tomorrow is trash day so that has to be taken out tonight!!!!!!
If i pack up a few boxes of things (knickknacks) then that would give us a jump start - but I'll see how things go after piles of laundry and working on emptying trash containers  from all over the house. 
She is bringing her trailer and I have a place to dump it all lined up.  I have had this lined up for some time!  It will be fun to have someone to work with(she's a friend); she needs the money, I need the help.  She has done it a couple of times before.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

That new living room suite sounds great, I'm sure it will look fabulous and spruce up your place. Get that put together soon so you can start enjoying the comforts! It sounds like you know what you want and need to do to get things accomplished. Go for it, and we would love to hear about the progress, keep us posted!

Samantha, Health Educator
I don't want it to sound bad; but money is not the issue with making the improvements to my home.  I have the money to pay someone to do it.  I know I will get a return on my investment when I sell my home (I've talked to a realtor and property evaluator).  I just don't like paying someone to do something I can do myself.  But can I realistically do it (overwhelmed and depressed).  I haven't done it.  I've rewarded myself by buying a new living room suite (still sitting at the store because I've not gotten it done).  I bought the tools to do it.  I know it would help me wiht my depression.  I know this is an on-going topic with me and I'm probably running into the ground. 
This is a goal that I value.  If my home is in such poor condition that it is realistically embarassing to me for someone to come over, then it needs to be done.  It is a reminder of where I was in my depression and I know I will feel better about being here when the work is complete. The carpet is so bad I won't walk on it without socks.  I live in a medium income type house and I live comfortably.  I am not wealthy by any means.  I just did not take care of my home when I was "down" the furtherest and didn't care.  Now I care and am embarassed and am doing better and I want to move so I need these things done!  I've never had  new living room suite btw, so I thought that reward would kickstart me. 

I think my best option is to spend the money, get the job done and feel better.  It will be quicker, easier and I'll feel a sense of relief quicker.

14 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

It is true there are always limitations.  But it sometimes can be difficult to distinguish between realistic limitations and excuses.  One person's realistic limitation may be another persons excuse depending on how they look at a situation.  It is important to prioritize your goals based on your values and not values forces upon you by others or society. If you find that a goal is very important to you and it is difficult to accomplish try to work a situation so it can be achieved.  For example, if money is the issue, how can you save more? How can you create a budget to make your goal realistic?  Even if you take small steps towards your goals over a period of time it may help you to feel less overwhelmed.

Let's just have some fun with this for a minute.  If money wasn't an issue what changes would you like to make to your home?

Ashley, Health Educator
I hired someone to help me.  Discussed it with therapist at this point it might just be the best motivator.  I didn't want to spend the money (I'm frugal) but one must sometimes acknowledge limitations and realize it's not a negative thought.  Do you believe this is true?
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

I know lists are not a priority, however by making a list of things that are doable for each day, you can accomplish things slowly and surely.  Take a moment to rest and give yourself a break and then get back to your daily list.  Enlist in the help of family, neighbours and friends to make the jobs easier and more manageable.

Josie, Health Educator
I set this goal to fix up my house and sell it.  It is depressing and a reminder of where I was with my depression.  I want to change the carpet in 1600 sq. ft. of the carpet.  I need/want to do the work myself.  I just seem so overwhelmed by the process and can't decide where to start; the best course of action.  I ordered a brand new living room suite; paid for it am awaiting delivery when I call them; but I thought I'd at least have the carpet removed by now.  I need someone with a big pair of boots to come over and kick start me.  It's depressing that I can't motivate myself to do it; I can't seem to get out of bed -  ostrich syndrom.  but it ain't going away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Setting goals is an important step when trying to make a change. But did you know that setting goals can affect motivation?

Wilson and Brookfield conducted a study to look at how goal setting affects motivation and adherence to a six-week exercise program. In order to do conduct this study they had three groups:

1. A process goal group: who set goals directly related to the process of the exercise program such as  to maintain a heart rate of above 140 beats per minute, for at least 30 minute of the session
   2. An  outcome goal group: who set goals related to the final outcome such as loose 4 kg by the end of the program
   3. A control group: who completed the program with no goal setting.

Their result showed that during the intervention, the process goal group and the outcome goal group had significantly greater adherence than the control group. They also found that the process group had higher intrinsic motivation from their goal setting (intrinsic motivation meaning that they were more interested and enjoyed the program more) than the other two groups. In other words, focusing on the process itself (breaking down the big picture into smaller goals) provides more motivation and lowers the level of pressure and tension for the participants.

To conclude the study the authors noted that:

1. Outcome goals are better than no goals, when it comes to adherence to a program.
   2. When possible exercisers should use process goals as this increases motivation and adherence

Reference: Wilson, K., & Brookfield, D. (2009). Effect of goal setting on motivation and adherence in a six-week exercise program. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 7(1), 89-100.

Members, what are your goals for this year? Have you been using the pledge feature to share your goals with us?

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: