Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,485 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Headlines in Mental Health, Part I

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think Furgitit is right. I would say the same, to talk, get help. She is also right about there being more ressources nowadays! 

For me high school was horrible. I had a group of girl friends and we hung out together. but I was a nerd and was as such unpopular. The only things ever asked me was if I would help them with their homework or what other, cuter girl's phone numbers were. I was sick a lot during high school. In my early teens I was diagnosed with several anxiety disorders and I had my first depression (burn-out?) also. I hated high school. Every second of it. am glad it is over with. I survived! 

Nowadays, I may not have people flocking to me, but I have a few friends and some family and a husband who loves me. My life has love in it and that is what counts!
14 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me it was just the opposite.  I wasn't part of the "in" crowd.  I did have a few friends - same ones I had gone to school with since grade 1.  But I was painfully shy - always sat in the back row and very rarely put my hand up to answer questions even though I always knew the right answer.  Being the centre of attention was very frightening.  With the clarity of hindsight, I can see now that even then I was living according to my core belief that I wasn't important, what I had to say wasn't important and my needs weren't important.  When I was in grade 9 I took my father's razor and started slicing my wrists - not deeply enough to do any real damage.  But guess what - no one noticed and that just strengthened that same belief. 

So for today's young people I would encourage them to find someone they trust to talk to about whatever is bothering them.  Don't keep everything inside and let it fester.  That can only lead to pain and suffering years later. 

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing and for the great suggestions furgittit

Members, thought? What do you think?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crazy as this sounds, everyone knew who I was, I had tons of friends, whether I wanted them or not.  I may have moved from school to school and met many people but wanted to stagnate and stay in one place and have a few friends.  All I wanted was to be left alone, but unfortunately (fortunately, I don't know) it didn't take long for people to flock to me.  I know this sounds like I am pumping myself up, I am not, this truly happened to me.  All I wanted was what my sister had (to not have many friends but have a few close friends that I could keep in touch with). 
My anxieties have always been being in crowds, strange people, strange surroundings, strange sights etc.
With depression as a teen, it didn't matter how many friends I had, I knew that I would be leaving soon and I couldn't very well tell any of them my problems just to move a couple of months later and be cut off again, so it was easier just to not say anything and not to get too close to anyone.
My suggeestion to teens now would be talk to someone, anyone and get the help you need now before you start cutting, or anything else to self-harm. If you survive, you will have scars which are difficult to explain to people.  Talk to the school counsellor, talk to a fellow student, talk to a social worker, talk to a friends parent, talk to a teacher, find a website like this one, just talk to someone.  Nowadays, there is alot more help out there than when I was young (kids help phone didn't exist, internet was something you hauled out when you went fishing with your uncle, and mental illness was hush hush). 
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

A recent study conducted by researchers at the University of Minnesota & Vermont have found that there seems to be a link between social acceptance and the incidence of depression & anxiety.

According to their findings, teens who were readily accepted by peers were less likely to internalize emotions and develop anxiety or depression in young adulthood.

What do you think? What was high school like for you? Did you have trouble connecting to others? What solutions do you believe may help youth today?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator 

Reading this thread: