Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Benefits of Yoga, Meditation & Tai Chi

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wildcat,

All you can do is try your best. Start slow and with time make small increases.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think so It is just that with the extra 100 lbs, it is hard to get up and move - never mind bend, stretch, and fold over...
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wildcat!

Awesome to hear that you have tried these before.  Did you experience many of the benefits?

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi sylvie,

i have, i have!

as a student at the university I had taken two tai chi classes at the sports center.  the class was too full and our movement was resticted a bit.  I was a member at a women's gym a while ago, and took a wonderful class there!

I took yoga at the local community center, and the teacher was great - she modified positions for the elderly and those menstrutaing.  I was thinking taking up the group in the fall...  I also remember a lot of the poses and counters so I still use a few favorites for stress.  I still remember the sun salutation but am not in shape, my space is a mess and I have no room to try.  and excuse I know, but I will put the energy into house cleaning first then yoga.

I still do the chakra meditations i learned in cegep.  It was stress management for the newly enroled and the exercises for the imagination was wonderful!!!  So I start with the room in my head and go down from there!  I usually end with an emersion into the earth's calm warm energy.

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Sylvie - this is great stimulus... I'm going to start very small and do a few minutes of Tai Chi and a few minutes of meditation...

Patrick

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Our focus in recent weeks has been on stress management. Yoga, meditation & Tai Chi are often recommended to relieve stress. Below you’ll find a list of potential benefits that you may gain as a result of engaging in such activities:

° Yoga can help relieve asthma symptoms, respiratory problems, high blood pressure, pain, mental performance, mood, back problems, arthritis, libido, weight and anxiety.

° Psychology Today reports that individual observed during and after meditation showed shifts of brain activity from right frontal cortex to the left frontal cortex. The right side of the frontal cortex is a part of the brain that becomes active when stress levels rise. The study also noted that after eight weeks of meditation the shift from right to left in the brains of participants became more permanent. In other words, participants moods were rated higher than at the beginning of the study. (Collin, A., Psychology Today, April 24, 2003.)

° Tai Chi can help relieve osteoarthritis pain, joint pain & overall mobility, balance, muscle strength and mood.

Have any members here tried these relaxing activities? What was your experience?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: