Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Why Am I Always Told To Work The Program? Part II

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi dumpling, there is a good point to keep trying!!! the point is that for now you are on a list and in months you will find help. NO LIST - NO HELP! mental health in canada is very list oriented. I had to beg the local clinic to put me on their list, and they tried to discourage me with it might be between 6 and 9 months, and the doctor you get is it.... well i was in the 8th basement at that time but help soon ... is better that YEARS of suffering more. so 4 months later i was hooked up with a strange little lady returning from her sick leave with very limited appointments. i told her - look in general it takes me between a month and a month and a half to get ideas to sink in, so do not count me in for weekly sessions. I think alot about how i think so I am here for tools not for pointless meanderings into past stories.... and two years later she is happy to have me as her patient and i think she is a bit "slow" but good to work with. so dumpling, miserable and on a list is one step closer to a better quality of life, than miserable and hopeless. goo dumpling, go dumpling, go dumpling
15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dumpling, That's very frustrating! I can't say I blame you for feeling as you do. I would commend you to keep trying because really you have nothing to lose and all to gain. You may also want to contact the national mental health service for your country. Often times, their hotline can give you talk therapy when you need it and they also have a directory of services in your area. Maybe you could get in somewhere else? Here are the links, I hope they help you in your search: In the US: http://www.nmha.org/go/help/ (Mental Health America) http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/ (National Mental Health Information Center) In Canada: http://www.mentalhealthcanada.com/main.asp?lang=e (Mental Health Canada) Hang in there! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know, that is a really good theory... a combination of appropriate drug therapy with some form of psycho therapy, geared to the needs of the patient. But how do you get it? I went to my doctor with a severe case of suicidal depression. She was not in but her colleague talked to me. I told him that the meds alone were not working and I felt I needed more help. He talked to me a bit, then upped the dose of my meds, which he said were a low level. And said it might help if I talked to someone. Six months later, I got up the energy to try again. Only this time I came armed with information on a local mood disorder clinic and a partially filled in referral form. When I made the appointment I was relatively OK, but by the time it came up I was suicidal. My Dr. agreed to refer me. That was over two months ago. When I inquired, I was told that it will be "several months" before I will get a letter from the clinic informing me that I can call to make an appointment. What's the point in trying?
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wildcat, I wouldn't get too down as most mental health illnesses have ups and downs. Try to refocus your attention to the positive, the progress you've made when you feel yourself start to spiral. It sounds like you've developed a nice therapeutic relationship. The exercises sound like they would be very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Danielle, I am bipo, either as a thinking method for survival or the chemical imbalance. i suspect both as does my psychologist. I am doing the cbt with the psychologist and I try to practice what she is teaching me ... here. My first lessons were learning that my feelings provided reliable information. then I had to learn to control the emotions' intensity so as to not be overwhelmed. Of course I had a lifetime of reprogramming to do thanks to habits of catastrophizing, all or nothings, and negative self criticism.... Here work on valorizing my accomplisments and recognising my Abilities were very important. My psychologist really needs to be quick and on her toes with me, and give me triple helpings of concrete praise and encouragement. We have been together since 2006 and she thinks that in ABOUT 2 years I will be well equiped to fly solo... Alone I am tring to keep to a regular routine, sleep being the most problematic these days... I am graviating towards my old frinds TV and isolation. so i veeegggg till 12 am watching everything and being interested in nothing. things were not bad Jan till mid march ... and since then I have been sloched around.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Remember: More than 80% of people with MDD improve when they receive appropriate treatment. Research indicates that mild to moderate MDD often can be treated successfully with either medication or psychotherapy alone. However, severe depression appears more likely to respond to a combination of psychotherapy and medication. Many people probably do best with combination of medication and psychotherapy: medication for relatively fast symptom relief and psychotherapy to help the person to learn more effective ways to deal with life's problems, including depression. Some people, however, cannot be on medication for various reasons (e.g., pregnancy). One type of treatment is better than none at all. The most important step is getting help. In general, severe and recurrent MDD may require medication (or ECT under special conditions) along with, or preceding, psychotherapy for the best outcome. Psychosocial Treatments for Bipolar Disorder As an addition to medication, psychosocial treatments - including certain forms of psychotherapy are helpful in providing support, education, and guidance to people with bipolar disorder and their families. Studies have shown that psychosocial interventions can lead to increased mood stability, fewer hospitalizations, and improved functioning. A licensed mental health professional typically provides these therapies and often works together with the psychiatrist to monitor a patient's progress. At best, the number, frequency, and type of sessions are based on the treatment needs of each person. Psychosocial interventions commonly used for bipolar disorder are cognitive behavioral therapy, psychoeducation, family therapy, and a newer technique, interpersonal and social rhythm therapy. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) helps people with bipolar disorder learn to change inappropriate or negative thought patterns and behaviors associated with the illness, as well as respond more effectively to stress. Psychoeducation involves teaching people with bipolar disorder about the illness and its treatment, and how to recognize signs of relapse so that early intervention can be sought before a full-blown illness episode occurs. Psychoeducation also may be helpful for family members. Family therapy uses strategies to reduce the level of distress within the family that may either contribute to or result from the ill person's symptoms. Interpersonal and Social Rhythm helps people with bipolar disorder both to improve interpersonal relationships and to regularize their daily routines. Regular daily routines and sleep schedules may help protect against manic episodes. As with medication, it is important to follow the treatment plan for any psychosocial intervention to achieve the greatest benefit. What treatments are you utilizing at the moment? Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: