Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Did You Know?

16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi brooke, thanks. My click came after many tears and a ton of pain. I did not know what was causing my hurt and my block... it took time and LOTS of introspection to find the little treads through my life . I wish you an Interesting adventure. let us know who it goes... ;p
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wildcat, It could be true, yes. But I have no memory of the events of that time. I came to a very loving family who I am still close too. I was one of the lucky ones. Yes, my parents and siblings are great but from an early age, I wouldn't let anyone hug me and I am still like that. I don't say 'i love you' to them either. My fiance is quite upset with me that i can't say it to him easily without being guilted into it. I am not free with my emotions. I don't know why. I think that I have been affected by my beginnings but how does someone change the bad feelings that were created as early as 1 yr old. I have a lot of work to do in that case. But I have been working on myself for many yrs in some form or another. I haven't reached that magic place yet. I want something to 'click' in my head and from there I will be released of all my emotional baggage. In any case, I will try to work on the sessions on this site and hope for some progress. Thanks for your input! Brooke
16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
brooke. I do not want to be nasty or harsh ... but I have a difficult question. (you do not have to answer !!!) If you see your adoption as a negative event in you life ... abandoned and setting yourself up for faileur... is it possible that you stop your projects because you do not feel up to the sucess? I had a difficult time with my father. He was bipolar and had no control over his illness... so everthing was wrong at some point... A school sucess today was a faileur tomorrow ("very good" today - and "why are you so stupid and not be perfect" tomorrow). I never thought I was good enough for anything - even affection. I thought that since my father could not love me as I was why and how could anyone ever have any positive feelings for me? This is why I ask the question. Is it your past that interfers with your present? In this CBt there are a whole bunch of thinking errors that depressives have and this "block" -[b]if it is there[/b]- might fall into one of the errors..... It might help to focus some time on it? If I am completely in the patates you can let me know !!!
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI, I am feeling not so good tonight. I have had dysthymic depression for many yrs since my early 20s and i am in my late 30s. It is hard to deal with it. There are times that i just want to give up. I dont mean suicide but just by not trying everyday to live a life. I have had therapy on and off, antidepressants (all different kinds-nothing really helps totally) and now online support - here. I still struggle and I hate it. I was adopted when I was 14months. I had been in one other foster home before coming to my parents home. Apparently, my birth mom left me with a babysitter and did not come back for me. The babysitter called social services. I do not know at what age this happened. I could have been a few months old or 13 months but all I know is that I came to my parents when I was 14months old. Could all of this history have set me up for a lifetime of unhappiness? I know that I have stuggled with low self esteem all my life, insecurities, compulsive eating problems, and I am so easily overwhelmed by the littlest thing and have mini emotional breakdowns. I could not even finish university because i got sick with a bad cold and fell behind and i could not cope with the stress off catching up. I was even getting a recognition before withdrawing for having a high gpa. I worked had to have good marks but it got too hard having to cope with life stuff, i couldn't handle it. So I quit. I have quit a lot of things because things get too hard for me. I feel like a failure in life. How does someone really cope with so many issues going on? Now i have a baby of my own to look after and so scared that I will fail her because of all my issues... Brooke
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Did you know: Depression is a serious medical illness; it’s not something that you have made up in your head (contrary to what many people think!). It’s more than just feeling "down in the dumps" or "blue" for a few days. It’s feeling "down" and "low" and "hopeless" for weeks at a time. There are several different kinds of depression. The most common types are: •Major Depressive Disorder: a combination of symptoms that interfere with a person's ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy once–pleasurable activities. •Dysthymic Disorder: long–term (two years or longer) but less severe symptoms that may not disable a person but can prevent one from functioning normally or feeling well. •Psychotic depression: occurs when a severe depressive illness is accompanied by some form of psychosis, such as a break with reality, hallucinations, and delusions. •Postpartum depression: diagnosed if a new mother develops a major depressive episode within one month after delivery. •Seasonal affective disorder (SAD): characterized by the onset of a depressive illness during the winter months, when there is less natural sunlight. •Bipolar Disorder: cycling mood changes-from extreme highs (e.g., mania) to extreme lows (e.g., depression). Members, please share with us a little bit about your depression and what you have done to cope with it. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: