Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

CBT vs. Chemical/Genetic Programming

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can hear my father saying, "Moderation in all things..."!!

Patrick

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Before starting any new drug it is important to speak with your doctor or pharmacist. There is always a risk of a harmful interaction when you add a new pill to your daily mix.

All vitamins have an Daily Recommended Allowance that you should check before taking any vitamins. They are also assigned an maximal dosage to stay within a safe dasage. Always speak with a medical professional and do your research before adding new pills.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eh .. pas d'accord. vitamins are meds and too much of a vitamin can be harmful esp the fat soluble ones...
Try to think of the B Complex and the MultiVs as food supplements - to supplement all the weird meals where we don't eat in a balanced way!

P

15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patrick.... I've thought about taking a vitamin... thanks!  Now I know which one to take.
I think I'll start taking one of those B complex pills. And some vitamin C.
I hate to be popping pills so much, but -- whatever it takes. Right?
Along with all the other great advice from Faryal here, Gigi, I found that B Complex tablets (One a Day) helps me a lot when I'm feeling blank and diffuse. I always make sure I take a Multivit per day also...

Patrick

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gigi,   It can be difficult for others to understand and relate to what you are experiencing especially if they are not "struggling" to be cheerful and sociable. It is good to hear that you are able to enjoy yourself even though as Goofy says, "it feels like you have run a marathon" after the fact.   What we must remember is that often times depression is associated with specific problems with the balance of many neurotransmitters as well as physical, behavioural and psychological symptoms. It makes sense that the chemistry of the brain is changed in depression. We know that the body and the brain are not separate. How we feel, think and behave is related to changes in chemicals in the brain.   It seems that once a person has had one episode of depression, their brain shows an exaggerated stress response to relatively minor stressors.  It is well known that stress is a key contributor but this does not refer to negative stressors only. Positive changes such as marriage or a promotion at work also lead to stress. Stressful life events have specific effects on stress hormones and neurotransmitters in our brains.   Have you managed to work through the CBT program? Although it is a lot of work, the good news is that if you follow the program it will all come together for you as you start to feel better.   As you said, maintaining balance is key. Incorporate exercise into your daily routine.........excercise has been shown to stimulate the release of endorphins which are the "feel good" hormones. Eat well and cut out the junk...........healthy nutrition will replace any nutritional deficiencies that contribute to your brain chemistry. Eat foods high in serotonin such as turkey, cheese, nuts and seeds.   Take it one day at a time and if necessary, one hour at a time!   Faryal

15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

I know exactly what you mean. If I attend a family function, participate in the event and enjoy myself -- I hear "Gigi must be getting better," or "Gigi seemed fine," or "I think Gigi is cheered up now."  (I wish!)

They don't understand the great effort I've made just to stay there with them.
Even though, like I said, I've had a good time.
They don't see how I can have had a great time at the event but then drag myself to my bed when I get home.

My mother, Lord bless her, is not bashful about letting me know when she's aggrivated with the whole thing.  But, she and my father do try to help and be compassionate most of the time.

I talk to my daughters about it. Trying to help them see why Mom is the way she is.
My 16 yr old seems bitter about it.
My 21 yr old accepts it well enough without giving me pity. 
I like that. I don't want any one's pity. I just want understanding and acknowledgement.

My meds do help me a good bit, I can tell because on days when I "forget" to take them, oh man.... I get REALLLY REALLLLLLLLLY Low.
However........ there's just not that BALANCE that I need. I need to be stable. I FEEL that need but I can't get it.

Any suggestions?  I don't get to see my therapist until September. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was so glad to read the question posed here.  I didn't understand while I keep struggling to stay out of bed as soon as I return home from work and on weekends, I think life is good - I can't complain about anything in my environment.  However, the depression still stands.  The crying erupts sporadically and unpredictably (sometimes I can figure out why - a funeral, bad news, etc.) but what makes it worse when I cry and can't put a finger on it.  I function okay at work.  I work at a mental health facility so they are quite understanding and hired me knowing the extent of my depression.  I don't have to work, I am retired as well however I think it is therapeutic as I am not motivated to do anything anywhere else (home, social, relationships, dating, etc.)  My family doesn't understand how I can appear happy, have a good time or enjoy something but still be depressed. And if I do participate in something that is fun - I feel like I have run a 25 mi. marathon afterwards (and marathons aren't fun for me).  I usually take to the bed from the emotional and mental exhaustion it takes to participate  - even though I've had fun.

I don't have a family history of mental illness.  The closest I can come up with is my diagnosis of a grandmother: anxiety. 

That take to the bed thing and those crying spells do result in negative thoughts.  Especially when things are going good environmentally and I can't figure out why.  I am working on accepting them as part of the "new me".  I take medications but there is definitely no "one size fits all" and the trial and error aspects of the medication was frustrating.  However, I am on medications now, that I think has helped me be able to return to work.

Patrick gave me some awesome insight in his response and that is where I was going with all this.

Thanks for listening too.
Goofy

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Grape,   Have you thought about adressing the issues that are making you sad? It dosen't have to be a specific thought, it can be the feeling itself.   Sharing with others is a great way to let things out and to express yourself. So please feel free to ask more questions.     Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: