Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

success story??

14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy, that's a great success story! Connecting with others in such a way is fantastic!

Don't worry about calling in sick, it's such a beautiful day you should enjoy it, I hope you are, I know I am.

Kat

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks, I really feel like I climbed some mountain.  I learned alot.  True friends are precious, they accept us as we are.  I can make myself do things even when I don't feel like it and need to.  If I agreed to it up front, it's probably something I think I'll enjoy.  Talking invitations here to go and do; not volunteering for some chore out of obligation.  I can have a good time despite the depression and high anxiety.  I can compensate for the depression/anxiety around others by excusing myself to cry, taking time alone, going for a walk or just sitting and chatting with someone about it who cares.  I think alot of it was participating in activities....dancing, and playing games and building a fire, etc.  I came back home and it's still here, it never went away there; but I was distracted.  I still didn't sleep but was a positive in that environment because none of us sleep, too busy catching up.
btw, this is a neat little group of friends with whom I've been chatting on-line; male and female and some with their life partners, bf, gf, etc, all live within a 2 state area.  All chatted for about 3 or more years and decided about a year ago to all get together.  Some were a bit skeptical but it's gotten bigger each time (16 this time).  We all chip in and it's not cost prohibitive for anyone.  We try to keep it as centrally located as possible.  I never thought I'd be brave enough to meet someone I met on-line but it's worked out great!  We are trying to do it every three months or so but usually a little longer. 
I was afraid to eat there, everything makes my tummy upset with the anxiety level, but I took some cheese (the only thing that seems to stay put) and nibbled in small amounts periodically.  I didn't want to have an upset stomach there - another way I compensated.  I sure was hungry when I got home!  lol  but I didn't starve to death either. 
Anyway, I learned alot about Gary the Garmin too.  I learned how to operate him as he was a Christmas gift from my son and his family and they kept seeing it in the box.  I said I haven't gone anywhere to use it.  It was handy and I of course had to name it. 
I came home and back to hanging out, trying to sleep, eating and getting sick.  I go see the shrink on Wed.  The therapist on Thurs.  I start working outside landscaping tomorrow, I called in sick at the Center today - I know contradicts the above - just wasn't up to teaching a class on responsibilities (ironic huh)

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a pleasant read Goofy...I was really happy to read this and hear that you went through with the weekends plans! Good on ya! Also, how exciting that you have another weekend planned too!

What a success story! Yay!

Strength

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

Thank you for sharing this definite success story with us. You challenged the negative thoughts you were experiencing about going away for the weekend and prevailed. You used positive self-talk to help you stay focused and on track with your plans, for these reasons this experience can definitely be placed in the successful category.

How will this experienced help you in the future? What are the main lessons that you learned from this?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's such a refreshing success story, Goofy.   I can so relate to your feelings about going and I'm glad you pushed yourself through... with Gary's help, of course!    
Isn't it funny how this illness is?    We know what we need to do to help us feel better, but have to struggle with our minds to get us to do it.    I think that's what people who don't understand depression don't get about it.   It really doesn't make much sense when you try to think about it.

I am so glad you went on this weekend trip.   You needed a break from working on the house so hard for such a long stretch of time.   Thanks for sharing this with us.  It is, indeed, a success story!

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I had a weekend outing planned with a group of friends, a large group - 15-20.  I packed on Thursday, cooked the food I was supposed to take; the whole time telling myself I did not want to go.  I was teary, anxious and dreading though knowing I'd have fun.  I talked to myself along with my Garmin all the way there - saying you will not turn around, you will not turn around.  I just knew my Garmin was going to say make a U-turn!  I met my friends and of course had fun.  I was a little teary at times, very anxious to anxious at other times but hey, they are friends, some of them can relate, others can't but those who can't loved me anyway.  I'm so glad I went, knew that in the  back of my mind as I was saying I wanted to turn around - that I would be glad I went if I could just get there.  I've named my Garmin "Gary" and he was not cooperative and for this I am thankful.
I guess the moral to this story is if you plan to do something - do it; don't let yourself talk you out of it; more than likely you would think it a good time or you wouldn't have agreed to it in the first place!  The tears, the anxiety, the ups and downs, a part of my life these days and I'm rolled with them on my trip to meet my friends at a lovely state park with a cabin back in the trees.  I hada great time and what if I had listened to me.  I needed my space at times and I found it; I needed hugs at time and they were readily available, I needed laughs and they were abundant! 
Am I any less anxious or depressed?  No, but I'm proud of myself for going and rolling with what I'm dealing with right now. I am glad I got to see my friends and get away.
I have another weekend planned at the end of this month with another group of friends (totally different - what a blessing to have so many, huh?) there are 12 women going to a nearby city to have a good time.  We went to high school together, some I've not seen since then.  I've made reservations and I'm having reservations but I'm going and Gary is gonna see me through (lol, he won't tell me to make a u-turn).  I won't let myself turn back now, I'll just roll with what this mental illness deals me that weekend and make the best of it! 
I questioned when I titled this success story - but as I type it, I know it was! 
thanks for sharing my success and if you don't have a Garmin or one of those other brands like that then get one, they won't let you make u-turns once you've decided to do something!  lol

Reading this thread: