Are You Struggling with Depression or Anxiety?

Start to feel like yourself again.

This free, interactive online program has helped thousands of people like you to feel more optimistic and at peace.

The program is divided into sessions that you can work through at your own pace, with a private community of other members who are here to support you in your journey.

Browse through 102251 posts in 16766 threads.

33,713 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ACampbell_HW3hoe, BGooch_HWA8k9, SCampbell_HWW2K3, nxm6444, RClackett_HWoh3M

How to support a loved one with Depression

Bearwithme64
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
6 days ago +1 Bearwithme64 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo

Hi Ashley,

Here are a few of my thoughts:

I want my family and friends to know I'm not lazy (or crazy, for that matter). My house is a mess because I cannot summon the energy to clean it, not because I don't want it clean. It helps me when they understand and chip in to help get things in order. Having my home in a state of disarray is a contributing factor in my battle with depression, but I largely feel powerless to do anything about it. That is just one analogy, there are many more... I am fortunate to have understanding family and friends, but I don't want to be an on-going burden...

Personally, I think I'm hindered by anxiety, along with depression. The two together have me feeling powerless and paralyzed to be able to get over either. This not only affects my home-life, but my work-life too.

Back in the olden days when I was a kid, I didn't even have a clue what real depression was. "Why can't they just think happy thoughts and get over it?" was my question. Now I understand that it is not that easy. I want others to know that depression is real, that it cannot be overcome with "happy thoughts" and that those suffering are not crazy. One cannot "just get over this".

Jackie

Ashley - Health Educator
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
  • My Logo
8 days ago 0 Ashley - Health Educator 3244 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo

Hi everyone,

I have noticed we often get questions from people who love someone with depression. They want to know how to support their loved one. I often tell them to listen and try to refrain from offering advice. Being understanding and non-judgemental sounds simple but it is often not what people get from their loved ones. They often get canned advice, seemingly "easy" solutions and unfair assumptions.

I wanted to hear from the members here, individuals who battle depression themselves. What do you need from your loved ones? What helps you? What hinders you? and what do you wish people knew about depression?

Please share!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: