Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Have a question about Depression?

16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
the final sharing and closeness might be the reason that people who have been together for most of their lives rarely survive each other than more than 5 years...
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think that we're at an extreme end of what started out to be some positive thinking, like: "women can actually survive on their own and don't need to be dependent on a man", "divorce isn't the end of the world", etc. And then that movie... was it Basic Instinct? The one with Glenn Close as a pathologically obsessed woman in love... and celebrity stalkers and such, and the concept of [i]needing[/i] a partner took on the connotation of mental imbalance. Now, I think, we have all sorts of conflicting messages of what single life should be and what married life should be that it's difficult for anyone to be happy, in or out of a relationship. As wildcat says so eloquently (I really love your humour, wildcat!), humans are social beings and of course we need love and caring in our lives. Perhaps the problem arises when "need" crosses over to "needy". I'm a giver -- it makes me feel good to help other people. Not to the point where they are dependent on me, but rather in a "hand-up" sort of way. I've learned that, particularly in a state of low self-esteem, I have to be wary of that crossover point or else my energy gets totally sapped. I've been in 3 serious relationships since my divorce 8 years ago, and in each of them I somehow evolved into the one who was emotionally supporting the other. (Hey, I'm the one with MDD here -- how does this happen?) So the happy-with-yourself-before-happy-with-another bit is really a good idea for me, and I've decided to steer clear of men while I figure out how to define that boundary more clearly. I have a amazing and beautiful friend who is so utterly miserable when she doesn't have a man in her life that I really wish for her the ability to be happy with herself as she is. That goes to Danielle's point about not placing all your happiness in someone else's hands. I've seen relationships where there is so much love and need on both sides that I think either one would shrivel and die if the other one were gone, with no pathological element like Glenn Close or my ex-husband. That seems to me to be perfectly healthy and rather wonderful, actually.
hi Danielle, I agree 100%. It is not fair to any one to say when I can touch you I am happy and when you are out of reach I am ready to die. It is just that there is so much out there that tells us what the model citizen has to be ... and missing one component means being a Loser. Hi Lady, I do not know why we are told this. Is it to have the smallest possible self-sufficient family unit to support our society?? Why is it wrong to need, to want to SHARE... i do not know. Is it because it is becoming harder and harder to share? Those that are the ones married 100 years - remind us that they are two people with two lives who are sharing the same path! They are safe and secure in the people they are... they know themselves, they each know what they want to do and become separately, So the stresses of Couple-hood are challenges and not obstacles. (sorry I am at the 19 yr mark). So I do not see what is wrong with needing to be and need to share. I see what is wrong with "I am miserable here is my pain - do something" I see what is wrong with "stay within arm's reach otherwise i am miserable". I think it is that nagging that keeps my notion of becoming a recusive-nun in some desert convent alive.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lady, It's really hard to let go of our mistakes. The first step may be to just forgive yourself. Not easy at first glance I know but remember forgiveness doesn't mean you're saying it's okay, just that it happened and although it may not have been the right course of action, it is what it is. Forgiving yourself means your accepting that it happened but will not carry the burden of it with you anymore. If you're struggling with this, an exercise to try would be make up a burden box. Write down each past event you feel guilty, sad, regretful about and put it in the box. Leave those feelings there. And every time you begin to rumage those past events, go back to the box and write a few notes. This exercise can help seperate the past from the present in a more tangible way. Hope it helps you. Wildcat, You bring up some valid points. It's okay to need that social interaction! It's a part of healthy living. The only exception to this would be when your happiness is solely dependent on someone else. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wildcat. Why are we constantly told that to need to be with someone is wrong? I had the discussion with my counselor a while back about people who are always saying that you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with someone else. Ever notice that these people are typically the ones who have been married for 100 years? Anyway... my counselor told me then that I know how to be alone and that is fine. If I want to be with someone else, that is fine too. But that nagging... you can't "need" anyone else or you are a loser keeps coming to mind. Is it really so wrong to say to my boyfriend, I really "need" you to be with me this weekend?
I feel my life isn't worth anything if I don't have anyone over the age of 10 to share it with. You know what I mean? Is that self pity or is it something else? I don't think it is a pity pot. It is a situation that I really hate. Is that so wrong? How can I stop feeling this way? This is part of your diccussion that struck me ... Why do we need to be so independant and self-sufficient. We are born to be social, wee need strong interactions to keep us healthy. Other Social animals also become depressed and sick when isolated; chimps, dogs, etc So why should humans be any different? After a couple of million years we evolved to be social and now that our society decided we should be self-sufficient - poof there goes Darwin? I think that we need to be comfortable with ourselves and be strong enough to contribute to relationships as equals. But isolation only makes us more and more depressed. As though there is some social-part-of-the-brain that is not getting its exercise and is wilting away. Maybe that is why outdoor exercise - as opposed to in our home- is so good at mood control. :quest: Maybe one function with self-help groups is to stimulate this social-center :quest: Maybe...maybe...maybe... So I see you desire to be with someone as a basic need not!! a source of self-pity. I see that in some ways you are isolated from your peer-group and your basic needs are not met.
Lady, I just replied you in another discussion ("I'm so alone"). I too think, you are extremely merciless to yourself. OK, it's clear, you want to challenge you to get everything done but also reward yourself for your good results (or at least recognize/dignify), don't only demand results!! take good care of you
Confused... you are right. I cannot let go of my mistakes of the past. I don't know how.
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sure that everyone's experience with depression is somewhat different, even when there are many similarities. Feeling sorry for myself is just where I am right now -- and ashamed of feeling sorry for myself. A Mindful CBT group program I've just started refers to depression as being preoccupied with the past, and anxiety as being preoccupied with the future, and that's exactly where I feel myself to be. I can't seem to be able to let go of the hurt, anger, trauma from my past -- it seems to be physically weighing me down like an anchor. The rest of my mind is full of what-ifs, so I sit on this fence, looking out over a full and vibrant life that I'm afraid to step into because I feel unworthy because of stuff that happened years ago. I see all this playing out, and some days I feel sorry for myself about it, some days I do something about it, and many days I just avoid thinking about it which is as effective as feeling sorry for myself so my overall progress is slow :( But the number of days that I do something about it is increasing, so that's a positive. Do we deserve to pay forever for things that we did or were done to us in the past? I don't think that we do. It doesn't sound as though you are pitying yourself, but it does sound as though you're judging yourself pretty harshly. Do you deserve that?
Confused, I respectfully disagree with your analogy of this being self pity. My depression isn't self pity. I know that I am in the position I am in because of choices I have made and it is my own doing. I do not feel sorry for myself. Quite the contrary. I am actually proud of my accomplishments. I have supported myself, raised 3 kids on my own, and put myself through school. I graduated and then found a better job which relocated me and the two youngest kids. I am very successful in my career and I feel like most of the time I am a pretty good mom. I am a youth leader in my church and try to be a good example for the teenagers that I lead. My "issues" are within myself. I have a hard time focusing for a time, have unexplainable tears, and don't understand all this crap called "depression". All I know is that I am in despair. It is dark and it is lonely. I don't see hope in it being any different. I am alone and feel that I'm not worthy of being loved by others. I'm not deserving because of the mistakes of my past. I don't consider this to be self pity. I consider it facing facts. I have no control over this thing called depression. It comes and goes at will. I can be fine one minute and not the next or vice versa. To me that isn't self pity. Little things set it off. Mainly it is when I am overwhelmed or too tired. I get in both positions a little too often. I am grateful for what I have. I adore my kids. I love my job and my new life. We have a nice home and a very full life. I wouldn't want to trade places with anyone. I believe I am where I want to be personally. I don't have self pity. I am depressed and I have no idea why. Does that make sense?

Reading this thread: