Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

similar meaning, opposite effect.

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would imagine by now we have all noticed that there are words that mean or do the same thing but not in quite the same way. I would imagine to that before coming here we didn't know that some are negative and some are positive.
Use of the wrong word in a sentence gives it a different meaning alright but worse is using the wrong word in a thought. It gives the thought a different meaning and causes an innocent thought to become a trigger. Take "I have to and I want to" similar meaning and exchangeable but one is negative and triggers anxiety while the other is positive and blocks the anxiety. There are a lot of these words and thoughts, but there are also attitudes that are positive and negative just as there are core beliefs that are negative and positive. All capable of triggering anxiety or action depending on their use. Some hidden but controlling. Some so powerful they can stay hidden while controlling. How do they do this, simply by not having another side to them. Simply by not having another option when they come up.
There is always another side, but to use it it has to be in place. This is where attitude comes in. Negative breeds negative. Pretty hard to build a positive side to negative situations if your attitude is negative. Pretty hard to build a positive attitude if your thoughts are negative. Pretty hard to build positive thoughts if your words are negative. So it all starts with the use of the wrong word to convey a thought even though they convey the same action. and then there are combinations of words that can change the meaning of a word. "I want to go to the $%^&&**store" turns a positive word into a negative and changes it's meaning to "have to". Where in many "have to" is an innocent word because what they really mean is "want to". And this is because a positive attitude can change the meaning of a negative word. Now to complicate it a negative mood can change the meaning of the word with or without changing attitude. The same as it can change the meaning of a positive word. Therefore it remains best to try to stay positive in all aspects of your life. Pretty hard to do with every thing negative surrounding us. Not impossible though. It boils down to how bad do you want it. How satisfied with negative are you? How do you feel at the end of the day? How do you sleep, and how do people see you? Are you worth knowing? You can like yourself as a negative person but chances are the only people that will like you are other negative people and it won't even really be like. More like tolerate. You can do better.

Davit.

Reading this thread: