Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Negative core beliefs €“ Part III

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm autonomous. It has been a problem in relationships. One I never knew was there.

Davit
10 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

This is interesting, I've never really heard of it before. :)
I'm pretty sure I'd be autonomous.

Kaitie.
10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

In general, there are three types of negative core beliefs:

•    Negative Core Beliefs about Yourself
•    Negative Core Beliefs about the World and Others
•    Negative Core Beliefs about the Future

All negative core beliefs can cause problems. Theories also suggest that certain dispositions and certain life events will affect people differently. There are two categories:

•    Sociotropic: concerned about relationships, concerned of the possibility of disapproval, ones sense of self- worth is based on acceptance & love from others, wants to maintain close relationships & worries about being unlovable.
•    Autonomous: have a high need to be independent and reach goals outside the relationship, sense of self worth is based on productivity, achievement and control, overly concerned with the possibility of failure & worried about being incompetent or unable.

According to theories such as by Beck, the matching between dispositions and life events can make the difference between could impact the severity of impact the life event will have on the individual.

For instance, a sociotropic is more likely to be negatively affected by a break-up whereas an autonomous by being fired from his/her job.

Which category do you fall into?

Reading this thread: