Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

What bugs you.

a year ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Bump! Writing down what bugs you can help you process your thoughts. So please share what bugs you today!

Ashley

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

Glad I could make you smile. Of course you always seem to bring out the positive in me. Must be all that positive energy you keep sending my way.

Well  I got to sign off for now and relax for a bit before turning in..I do have a busy week coming up this week with a second opinion and hearing tests and such..I will continue to work on my coping skills this week and keep my chin up and all that good stuff. 

Maybe a walk on the beach as a reward after one of my exposures this week.
I like that one, it helps me relax and clear my head..

Red..

Davit, not to worry..
This idea of sharing coping skills is a good one. I think we can all learn from each others experiences whether we are old or new to CBT. We all have so much to offer each other here and when someone shares what works for them with others it may be a coping mechanism that the person never thought of before. Sometimes it is hard to think of solutions and ways to cope especially when you are caught up in the panic cycle. I have learned so much from reading others thoughts here and the support from the group is irreplaceable. Also I must take the opportunity to say that the support and guidance that I have received for the Educators here has been a god sent to me..Sometimes I think we just need a little steer in the right direction to bring us down to earth again and to help us find our way on our individual journeys. The help I have gotten here is irreplaceable and what I have learned here has really helped me "learn how" to save my life..I am one of those that has had CBT and this site as my only resource. I will be forever grateful for that and I think we all still have lots to learn about ourselves..We are never to old or young to learn and we are forever changing..
Red...
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red, I am sorry if I put pressure on you, it was not meant. You are not ranting, you are stating a fact and even if it was a rant it is honest and welcome. It always will be with me.

Ashley, we have six doctors here plus two visiting Psychiatrists and two Therapists for over six thousand people. One of the GPs has read the CBT manual for doctors. Does he understand it, does he have time too. GPs put people on pills with no referral or follow up with a therapist. I imagine it is the same elsewhere. The blind leading the blind right over the brink. And when there is a referral later the therapists are left with the mess to clean up. People on the wrong meds, people scared of meds, and scared of the system now. People committed for six weeks to get them straightened out because they are scared and lost and won't volunteer. People like me, only I lucked out, I got the right help. 
That six thousand translates to fifteen hundred with some mental condition and very little help. So I try where I can. Will we ever get the numbers down, I doubt it. There just is not enough information out there. People think CBT is a broadcast company. They think the psych ward is a place of straight jackets locked doors and tranquilizers ruled by white coat Gestapo. In truth for most it is like a group home, a quiet place where you can talk and get calm. Staff wear ordinary clothes, there are no bars and only the main door is locked. You can get a pass. There are rules, but they are not harsh. I would go again if I ever thought I needed to. I doubt I ever will need to. ER is a far scarier place.
There are lock downs but we will never be in the category they are for. 

The reason I started this was to get people to look at how they cope, we all do, we have to. And also to look at their triggers and how they interact with their core beliefs. I wanted people to see that we are stronger than we think, and we can do this. We can get better even if this is all the help we will ever get. CBT does work.
The coping skills of those that are just beginning are far more valuable than mine and worth sharing. People may not ever realize they are using them. We all have coping skills, even the so called normal people.

Davit
10 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That sounds so neat Red!

Thanks for sharing. Put a smile on my face

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi again Ashley..
I want to thank you for explaining how to create meaning out of my experiences so that I can move on, and for encouraging me to keep writing these thoughts out so that I can complete this very important process..It is good to know that I am not just ranting and this writing actually does help me..

Now on a different note. I have something I want to share with you. That I hope everyone here can enjoy. It's my recount of my little adventure and positive distraction. A coping skill that I enjoyed today..

I just go back for a little Walk About, at the zoo..It turned out to be a great distraction and this time the zoo seemed different, like I was looking at it for the first time..kind of Surreal as they say..It was overcast and everything seemed extra vibrant and green, even the one of the little monkey was extra happy today. He was hanging on the side of his huge enclosure posing for cameras, raising his eyebrows and smiling at everyone and he seemed to be enjoy us all as much as we were enjoying him. His group was involved in special studies at one time, part of this study was facial recognition with humans..He was all smiles and everyone couldn't help but smile right back at him. He was a delight to see and experience today. Now this is one of those memories to store and keep with me always....

Red..
It was my pleasure Red. I am glad something I said helped a little.

And you were not ranting. Writing down thoughts helps us create meaning of experience and only when we create meaning from our experience can we move forward. So keep on verbalizing what you are going through. I am happy to read it.

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley..
I posted the previous post to Davit before I read your post..and was ranting a bit..I know, but I want to thank you both for your caring responses..Your sympathy and understanding for my situation really helps me.
It's like the poem by AESOP....... "The Lion & the Mouse"..

No act of kindness,
                                                          no matter how small,
                                                               is ever wasted.

Well I'm off to do my weekend walks at the swap meet and maybe the zoo too as a positive distraction. It's just get in the car and go I never know where I'm going to end up it's all done on impulse..Kind of a adventure of sorts..
Talk to you all later..
Red.
 :)
Davit,

No I do not have any coping skills to pass on right now, Not really..Wish I did. Just the walking as a distraction and it is not working that well anymore being that I am a bit consumed with lots of health issues right now and all the panic/anxiety that this generates for me is unbearable at times. What would help is if these health care professionals cared just a little and realized that I am a human being with feelings, both physically and emotionally..and it you help if they explained things and let me in on the proposed plan..and of course it would really help if they used anesthetic this time before doing anything invasive..and it would help if the surgeon didn't desert me in the hospital again after surgery especially if my lungs are filling up with fluid again....These are some of my past experiences/core beliefs..that I am wresting with right now..Some of my demons from the past..

That would help lots...Of course my adrenaline/animal instinct and past experience, core beliefs as some might call them tell me that the best thing to do is Run..Run...Run for my life this time..Core beliefs go deep..and recent injuries just strengthen them..Kind of like common sense tells you when something just isn't right...

So with the way I am feeling lately I would not be the best person to talk to about coping skills and I really don't have any to pass on right now..My core experience tells me to go with my instincts for now when making decisions..

As for today I am going to look for a distraction to take my mind off of the negatives in my life and then I am going to try to pour myself into that activity..This is the hard part especially when one is filled with anxiety and panic..

That's the plan for today..
Red..

Hi Red,

What you are describing is not fair. Sometimes reframing and trying to be positive isn't an effective solution. Sometimes it's a structural issue, sometimes the problem is bigger then us and not in our immediate control. I feel for you and wanted to let you know you do not deserve this. There are a lot of things we need to change about the medical system that is for sure! Davit's suggestion of coping mechnisms is a good one. 

Here for you.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: