Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Where does social anxiety come from?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Samantha

Oh I know exactly why I was shy. And I know which core beliefs contributed to it. I know how much it affected my life and how many opportunities passed me by. I know how it still tries to control my thinking but the fight is a small one now.

In my opinion two things contribute to shyness and both build core beliefs in one way or another. Insufficient attachment at that point when a child needs it most and favouritism. In my family the first born male gets all the privileges to keep the family name strong. It is an old tradition but it leaves the others in limbo. 

Shyness can also come from the over confident finding out they are not quite what they thought they were. Not the case with me. I know who I am. And I am not the least bit shy anymore. Cautious yes but shy, never.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

The cause of Social Anxiety Disorder is still not yet fully understood. Some theorize that children learn shy behavior from their parents but it seems even more likely that there’s a genetic component to being shy. About 10% of children are described as being “high in behavioral inhibition” or shy, which means that they’re fearful in new social situations. This shyness seems to negatively progress throughout adolescence.

Most adolescents are very self-conscious and spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think about them. Most adolescents experience some anxiety in some social performance situations. If a shy child hits adolescence and becomes extremely self-conscious and worried about what other people think, that adolescent can be at risk for developing Social Anxiety Disorder.

€¨Where you shy when you were younger? 

Samantha. Health Educator 

Reading this thread: