Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Noise.

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,
Sorry about the repetitive chorus, but it's a reflection of lack of attention to detail in me these days.  I'd meant to erase most of the lyrics, of course, and got half way, I guess.
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit!

I was told it couldn't be fixed but I will try to push a bit more.

Thanks for the song hugs!

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley,
If you're dancing at your place, make sure you review the lyrics to the song "Knock 3 times on the ceiling" by T.Orlando:

chorus
Oh my darlin
knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
mmmm twice on the pipe if the answer is no
oh my sweetness
means you'll meet me in the hallway
oh twice on the pipe means you ain't gonna show

chorus
Oh my darlin
mmmm twice on the pipe if the answer is no
oh my sweetness
oh twice on the pipe means you ain't gonna show

chorus
Oh my darlin
twice on the pipe if the answer is no
oh my sweetness
twice on the pipe means you ain't gonna show  

I imagine if tenants knew what Davit described about plumbing, this lively song would never have cheered up so many people
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

My point was that it depends on whether you feel they belong there or not. That seems to be the key to whether you can tolerate them. 
As for your banging pipe, it is usually an air lock. If it is hot water heating there is a coin valve at the end of the heater that you can open with a dime to let the air out. I used to manage apartments in Alberta and the water had gas in it that would accumulate. I put in automatic bleeders. Now a water pipe is a different storey.

Davit
Rain and thunder are some things I enjoy since it has some purging aspect, and I guess I've always felt safe inside.

As the children grow up next door, they might make new noises, and they startle me, since I think it might be something in my own home, that I have to attend to, after being sensitized from my caregiving role.  I don't know how parents do it.

I find the more stressed I am, the more spooked I can become.
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
P.S.  Forgot to mention the bi annual 30 minute tornado siren that is ear splitting.  For those two events a year, we pack up the pets and go to the park.  Can't ignore or adjust to that ever.

Shari
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, 

I live directly across the street from the fire dept. (it was an empty field when we moved here, they moved in after) and there is also a medivac helicopter landing pad across the street, plus our street is the one the ambulances take to get  to the hospital. And, also the police set up speed traps.  There's also a train track in back where the house shakes, the windows rattle and it rumbles and the conductors are horn happy.  So, to say the least, it's noisy.  I've lived here 13 years now and can sleep through most of it and it's all become background noise, but some days are irritating.  Today, about 100 motorcyclists used our road as a short cut this afternoon.  When I visited my parents in Florida, they have a hurricane proof house made of concrete and live in a quiet neighborhood.  The silence was loud and deafening.  I tried to sleep and wondered what was different and it was the lack of constant traffic as background noise and of course the sirens, etc.  So, to answer your question, I believe you can adjust, but it takes years, not days, weeks or months to adjust.  It also depends on the person.  I am more wired than other people and my daughter is extremely laid back and calm and the noise never bothered her in the first place.  Plus, she's a city girl being in D.C. and I'm a country girl from Up State New York.  Some people may adjust sooner than I did, but I can only give you my experience of it.  Maybe others can give theirs.  Oh, I think where you live is logic, not escapism.  I don't have a choice of where I live right now, one day we'll move I'm sure, so I'm forced to deal with it, but over time it's gotten easier.  I still don't like when the fire house rents our their hall for summer parties, it always ends up in a riot with 15 cop cars and it goes well into the night.  What can you do.

Shari 
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

Interesting discussion. I am intersted to hear what other member will say.

I have a banging heater pipe in my unit. It can be very annoying. I am a bit used to it but I don't think anyone can get used to loud banging noises!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Conditions for panic have a lot to do with conditioning over a lifetime, especially changes to this condition. We can change a lot of these conditions but often noise is not one of then or more specifically the type of noise. 
There was a Salesman from New York I believe who had a tape of street noises he needed to go to sleep when it was too quiet.
I drove Heavy Equipment and used noisy tools (with ear protection), the noise doesn't bother me but the sound of the dogs toe nails on composite flooring can drive me out of the room. I can listen to the wind howl or rain but do not like kids making excess noise. I especially do not like dogs barking for no reason. Back ground noise in a mall will give me a headache. I do not like TV for the sake of noise. I prefer silence. 
These are all things I grew up with and have become conditioned to. So changing any of them causes stress. 
People say "Oh You will get used to it or tune it out." I have not been able too for more than short periods of time. It could just be me.
It is not worth taking pills to be able to tolerate it either. So here I live in my world with the noises I can tolerate. Is this escapism or just logic? I would never survive in a city or with very close neighbours. But growing old by ones self on an acreage out of the way may not be possible.
What will be will be, it may just need some help.
How much do you think different noise is effecting you? Have you changed noise patterns? Are you missing certain noises? How to fill the void.

Davit

Reading this thread: