Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Don´t Expect Perfection

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes it just isn't worth it to switch back and forth. I tend to stay with what I'm comfortable with. Even if it costs a bit more.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
That's a good attitude for most of us with that problem.  An example was yesterday, when I went to an information meeting, and was late.  My worry was wasted, since there was no-one there!  There were more presenters than attendees, probably since we had great weather for a change.

Another example is changing media providers(for bundles of tv/internet/telephone). In the big city, people are constantly switching, due to promotions, and I don't wish to to do that, since my life is "low tech", so I can make an easier decision, although it gets tough when others start to meddle.

The burning issue is legal, and I'm uncomfortable since it's costly, and the hourly rates are expensive.  I'm getting better, it seems.
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know a guy who has the right attitude. "You don't have to know how to do it, just do it." Of course you have to have some idea of what you are doing but I'm afraid perfectionism take creativity out of your project. Not to say you shouldn't gather information and do your best. But perfectionism leads to everything looking the same (sort of) and disappointment. It also leads to disappointment when others don't see the time you put into it.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,
I'm beginning to sense the weight of "stress", and how I have to not focus on some things that I can't control, but it seems in my "nature" to worry.  Acceptance of my limits is tough.

When I saw the word "perfectionism", I may be straying from your question in the thread.  In terms of perfectionism, I find I want too much information, and become stuck, and procrastinate.  It is truly disabling, and affects my quality of life, and my parent's.

Reading the classic "Feeling Good Handbook", showed me how the author, to my surprise, struggled when he struggled with his own perfectionism, and used thought records around the publishing of his book!   I'd like to use some of those thought records to help break that obstacle to living. 
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can't change the source of your stress. You have to accept that you cannot change what other people do or say to you. In this case the focus needs to be on learning ways to calm your stress, self-sooth and reduce the negative impact that stress has on your body, mind, and overall well-being. Try reframing the stressful situation. Don't give control of your emotions to someone else. Tell yourself there's no reason why someone else's behavior should ruin your day. You can also attempt to change what a high stress situation means to you. If you have a big assignment coming up, avoid thinking that your entire career or self worth depends on how well you do. Your life is very seldom changed in a single instant. Do your best, and remind yourself that there will always be more opportunities in the future. Don't expect perfection.

How do you handle sources of stress that you cannot change?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: