Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Get Organized!

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If anybody clears out their closet, and finds a skeleton, let me know!

We seem to be missing one
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  Just wanted to mention (just got caught up reading some posts), that if Davit thinks I have a lot of stuff, he should have seen what I had before coming!  I remember the purging, tossing out, giving to Good Will, etc. I had to do.  Oh it took me a couple of months or more!  I only brought about a quarter of my things.  And you know what?  I hardly miss any of it.  I did have a yard sale and gave some special items to my daughters.  Tee-hee, wait 'til the additions are finished!  (lol ,  just kidding)   At least, he sees that I am organized and that is true. Everything has a place and you can find it.  One of my better talents.  :-)

Sunny
Davit,
It's not just sentimentality which breeds clutter.  Like yourself, I've gone through a number of operations, and crises.  I just never picked up after them, since I had to work and travel.  It's time to pick up the pieces.

The idea of having an assigned place for something is critical, and I'm going to apply it.  It just seems to move around, since I've had a popcorn brain which wants change, and doesn't want it, depending on....well I'm not really sure
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I may be odd man out here. I have almost nothing of sentimental value. I could never afford to. It has always been, use it till it doesn't work anymore then get another one. Or get rid of it if I'm not using it anymore. I have two tractors, and just bought another one to replace one I'm tired of fixing. I may sell the fix it tractor if the new one does what I want it too. Since I don't farm any more all that equipment is gone except for what can be used to garden and landscape. My manure spreader is now full of flowers as is my grain roller. Recently We donated a trailer to haul around the schools new lawn tractor. We also gave away a shed we don't use to store it in and helped move it to the school. Why two tractors? One has a mower attached almost permanently. It is a fun tractor so it might be considered sentimental value. Might just. On the other hand we have a lot of grass to mow so changing implements gets to be a pain. Seems I have a roto tiller on one tractor and a mower on the other all summer. I really bought the newer tractor because it is more friendly to a cripple. It is also easier to get on. 
I'm the opposite of sunny, She has a lot of stuff, but is organized. It is all useful stuff too. And some of it does have sentimental value. Could it be that I don't have family? I don't know. I do know that I do like what I have to have a place and to be in it's place when not being used. Not OCD about it, I just like to be able to find it.

Davit.
Hi Ashley,
I've started with my bedroom.

I've been doing this for a while too, and took a course on getting out of clutter, following one on staging.

I watched a professional organizer speak about this topic, and your tips, Ashley, were great!  Her word for working at sections was called "zoning", and it was helpful.

My insight has been about loss.  Loss has been difficult, but I had to reframe it.  I had to reframe loss, since discarding things, and purging and throwing things away meant a kind of "loss".

To me, discarding something of sentimental value is the hardest.  What discarding is to me now is an exchange for something else, instead of the forboding loss.

I'm gaining cleaner air, and lightness, and mental acuity and emotional space and tranquility.
11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been doing this very thing for almost two months now..it feels so good to get it all together,and more organized...i started with my closets,that took some time for me..as i have been wanting to get back to a size 8...but,i have to be realistic too,i am a size 12,and thats how it is...i have tried for a couple years..no luck,and with the meds..that makes it harder for me,so i choose to accept myself at size 12.....then came pictures,i wanted to make collages for my grown children to hang on there walls,and bought the frames and have been doing that too...for years i always kept my hair blond..so now i am my natural self..brown,and i added some caramel color to it..beautiful,and i like that,i also organized my shoes,and bought another shoe rack for my closet.next..i want to buy a new quilt for our king bed,as mine is looking very shabby....fall is my best time of year,as we get to decorate the front porch!
Bren
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where could you use some more organization?
Externally and internally where could you improve?

How can you start to make sense of it all, without having to feel overloaded and closed in.

Start with doing a tally of where you need to improve then start where you want to.

Take it room by room or section by section, and start purging.  Get rid of anything you haven’t used for more than a year or doesn’t have sentimental value.  Clothes, toys, knick knacks, books, shoes, etc and free yourself of clutter.

This can be very therapeutic!

It keeps you busy and occupied
It frees you of clutter
It can relax you
You may actually find something you lost.

Purging can be a great coping and relaxing technique, so start with one room and work your way around the house!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: