Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

What would you do?

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful!

So nice to read that. 

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It feels GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's well worth all of the time, effort, hard work, patience and everything I had to do, to enjoy life again.  And, the longer you are on the other side of being comfortable in former scary environments, the easier it becomes to try more new things and to keep growing.  Life is meant to be enjoyed and the freedom of fear is the greatest feeling in the world.  I still get afraid sometimes, but the difference is, I do it anyway.  99% of what we fear, never happens, and you miss out on great things by avoidance.  It's truly better to do it scared than reinforce avoidance and miss out on everything that life has to offer.  It is true freedom. 

Shari
Great advice Shari!  Thanks for sharing

After all this hard work of pushing yourself, how does it feel now to be comfortable in environments that would be scary in the past?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley, 

It's Shari.  I had some free time before my move to Florida, so I thought I'd respond to a couple of posts :)

Here's what I would do about the situation.  I would force myself to go, because the more you avoid situations, the more isolated you become.  There were many, many, many times I didn't feel like going out, but I made myself go and the more I did, the more I would find I had a good time and all my worries and fears were unfounded.  The more you go out, the more comfortable you are going out, and you keep Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia from coming back.  I'm not saying it's easy, but, it really works.  

You’re doing well and starting to feel more like yourself again but today you had a bad day. You leave work and are looking forward to a quiet evening at home. You get through horrible traffic and are feeling anxious as you get out of your car.  As soon as you walk in the door a friend you have been avoiding due to your anxiety texts and asks you to go out for dinner down town.

What do you do and why?

Reading this thread: