Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

How can deep breathin help me?

11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The deep breathing has helped me out so many times!
 I rely on this alot,aswell as trying to keep a positive attitude,and learn to live in the present,not the past or the future..just the present...I am learning useing lavender as a help too,as it relaxes the senses.relaxing cd,s help me too...
Bren
11 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I use this technique frequently and find that it gives me great relief during stressful times!
11 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Instead of yelling, slamming doors, or focusing on anxiety, take a slow deep breath in through your nose to the slow count of five. Push your belly out at the same time; this makes the air go deeply into your lungs. Slowly breathe out through your mouth to the count of seven. Repeat this 3 times as you feel yourself relaxing and the stress dropping away.

Normally when we think about breathing, we think of it as having two parts: breathing in and breathing out. Not any more. We want you to think about breathing as having four parts, like a square or a box. Breathing in and breathing out are two sides of the box, but there are two more sides. It’s the two other sides that we want you to focus on.

If you pay attention to your breathing, you’ll notice it has four parts. We breathe in and we breathe out (sides 1 and 3), but we also actually pause twice with each cycle. We pause once after we breathe in, and once after we breathe out. So, our breathing really goes like this, breathe in on one, pause on two, breathe out on three, pause on four, breathe in on one, pause on two, breathe out on three, pause…

Sometimes it’s easier to notice the pauses. When we’re very relaxed the pauses are easy to spot. When we’re exercising or panicking, the pauses are harder to spot. But, they’re always there, no matter what. You can’t get rid of the pauses!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: