Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Benefits of Yoga, Meditation & Tai Chi

11 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to think meditation was a good thing but it doesn't seem to change anything in my life. Yes, I sit and clear my mind but I still have to return to my life eventually. It just seems unproductive but I am sure it has some long term value.

Sunflower
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing hugs.  It is a great complement to other forms of exercise and a wonderful way to refresh the mind and spirit.  I'm glad you find it helpful. 
Let us know how you like Tai Chi compared to yoga if you try it!
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,

I've enjoyed Yoga's stretching to complement my weight training(and it's monotony),and the meditative side is good for mood.

I haven't tried Tai Chi, but may find time for it some time, since I've had success with a martial arts class for one month only once for 30 days when I was very young, losing 30 pounds in 30 days.  I'm not certain the rewards will be so dramatic, but friends have praised  it's rewards.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Our focus in recent weeks has been on stress management. Yoga, meditation & Tai Chi are often recommended to relieve stress. Below you’ll find a list of potential benefits that you may gain as a result of engaging in such activities:

°    Yoga can help relieve asthma symptoms, respiratory problems, high blood pressure, pain, mental performance, mood, back problems, arthritis, libido, weight and anxiety.
°    Psychology Today reports that individuals observed during and after meditation showed shifts of brain activity from right frontal cortex to the left frontal cortex. The right side of the frontal cortex is a part of the brain that becomes active when stress levels rise. The study also noted that after eight weeks of meditation the shift from right to left in the brains of participants became more permanent. In other words, participants moods were rated higher than at the beginning of the study. (Collin, A., Psychology Today, April 24, 2003.)
°    Tai Chi can help relieve osteoarthritis pain, joint pain & overall mobility, balance, muscle strength and mood.

Have any members here tried these relaxing activities? What was your experience?

Reading this thread: