Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Is Brain Plasticity Relevant to CBT?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't read the book by N Doidge called The Brain that Reinvents Itself, but saw it reviewed on tv...sounds good though..I thought a member may have read it..
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Can you tell us about the article? What specifically did you find interesting about it?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning hugs.

Yes, I have heard of it but then I delve into anything relevant or not to my condition. It is interesting. I do know of people who have overcome limitations due to brain damage, myself included but it seems to happen mostly in stroke patients. If Alzheimer's was not so fast it might even work for it but it seems that in people with strokes it is a slow process that takes years.
Visualize me on my back in an ambulance with a ruptured spleen and it becomes obvious which part of my brain might not have got enough oxygen on the way to the hospital. This is probably where my over sensitivity to emotions comes from. The only actual noticeable thing is that I can not remember names in the normal sense. I do what I call using the back door. I associate the person with a time or place or thing and my mind fills in the blanks from my memory because that is how it does things. It is full of shopping bags of related things so if you can't find it in one you can often find it in another. (this is how theory on a project can work for another project) It has just become routine to use a different area of my brain to cover for a part that doesn't work. But that is memory. The frontal lobe I do not think can be replaced with another part if it is too damaged but you know we only use a fraction of our capacity so there may be hope for me.
You have given me an interesting project here. Especially since run away emotions are are such a big part of anxiety and panic. 
Now I know you don't post without reason so I would like your thoughts on this. Do you think it is possible? wouldn't it be nice to shut down a section of unwanted thought and emotion and build a new one based on what we know now. An area of nothing but positive without negative vying for attention. Like buying a new car and parking the old one out back.

Davit
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Has anyone read about brain plasticity?  I saw an interesting interview with an author and it sounds promising for emotion change too!

Reading this thread: