Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Myth or Fact? Anxiety and Gender

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley.

Conditioning. Men are bread winners, women are care givers. Men tend to treat everything as win or lose and therefore pass on there anxiety to the loser. Women take on the hurts of their children and family including their mans anxiety when he loses. He gets relief, she gets anxiety. Even when women are paid equal in the work force they are treated different. A woman that can play the game like a man is not going to get anxiety any more than a man the same as a man that plays the game like a woman with caring and compassion is going to get anxiety. Society has to change and accept both before the scales will balance. You can be compassionate and assertive and the scales will balance and normal anxiety becomes concern rather than panic. But you know a lifetime of core beliefs makes this difficult. So why don't all mothers and wives get anxiety? They learned to be assertive from their mothers and/or grandmothers. They are not going to let it happen.

It all goes back to attachment theory and how a child is brought up.
And of course no male is going to admit he has anxiety which is why I did. They need some one to relate to so they can see it is okay. We aren't all red faced jocks, some of us can be quite aggressive when necessary and also compassionate when necessary. I have some female friends that know what they are doing and where they are going and they don't have anxiety. I also have some that are the opposite.

I think the ladies need to be more assertive and stand up for themselves. Just maybe not with a spear in their hand.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

I think we discussed this last time this content was posted and if I can remember correctly an interesting discussion transpired. There are numerous reasons why this could be. Men could report it less, men could deal with negative thoughts differently (perhaps with anger). What do you think it could be?
Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

And why do you think this is? It does make a difference. In theory women would treat anxiety different than men then.

Davit
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Myth: Women are affected by anxiety disorders at the same rates as men.

Fact: For four of the five anxiety disorders, women are twice as likely to be affected as men. These disorders include: Generalized Anxiety Disorder; Panic Disorder; Posttraumatic Stress Disorder; and Specific Phobias.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: