Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Preparing or your Doctor´s appointment

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ashley. Fortunately I never felt nervous about talking about my problems with my doctor but sometimes I think doctors are too busy to listen to my problems.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Most people are a little uncomfortable about speaking to their doctor or health care professional about depression or anxiety. Sometimes people are intimidated by their doctor's training and knowledge. Sometimes people feel that their doctor is too busy to listen.

Other people don't want to bother their doctor with a problem that is "too small" or "too silly." Most people are embarrassed to admit that they have a problem with depression and some feel that if they have to get help for depression, then they must be "weak," "defective" or "broken." For all of these reasons, and more, people often decide to avoid talking to their doctor about important health problems. In fact, many people walk away from their doctor's office without having talked to their doctor about what they really intended to talk about.

You may be nervous or uncomfortable about discussing your depressive/anxious symptoms with your doctor. Your anxiety about talking to your doctor may also prevent you from getting the help you need.

Some people might have grown up thinking that if they get depressed or anxious they should just "snap out of it" or "tough it out," so they become embarrassed to bring it up. But now we know that major depression and panic disorder are serious mental health problems that results in much pain, suffering, lost opportunity, and many long-term effects on your physical health and personal relationships. Your doctor knows that depression and panic are serious problems.

When you start getting anxious about discussing your depression or panic with your doctor, remember these facts:

Your doctor is not too busy to listen to your concerns about your health.
Your doctor wants to help and has been trained to do so.
Your concerns are not "too small" or "too silly"
Depression is NOT your fault. It is NOT a sign of personal weakness
Most people say that getting help for their depression or panic was the hardest thing they ever did. Most people also say that getting help for their depression or panic was the best thing they ever did. Talking to your doctor is the first step towards better health. Most people feel at least a little better right away, just from telling their doctor about their problem.

If you are like many others and are uncomfortable talking to your doctor about your concerns, it might help to take our Depression or Anxiety Tests, and then take your results in to your doctor.

Are you feeling nervous about talking to your doctor about your symptoms?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: