Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Myth or Fact: Anxiety will never go away?

12 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, I totally agree with you!
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guy

You can never go back to before the attacks, but you can be better. Much better. Now you will understand anxiety and panic better. Better even than those who never get attacks. You will have less side effect than those that never have attacks because the skills you use to combat attacks are the same ones you will use for run of the mill anxiety and panic. You will still get it, it just won't be as debilitating as before. 

This I say from experience and this you have already figured out. For those that think panic is just going to disappear, forget it. It will still be there, it is part of our make up. We and those that don't get attacks. The advantage we have is that we understand what we are dealing with. We know why we are tired or dizzy or headachy. We also know it is normal so it doesn't matter. We have the skills to make it some where between tolerable and beautiful. The decision is ours.  There is that word again "decision" like the word "believe" that keeps cropping up here. 

Davit

The cure is rather simple, just bury all that negative with positive. It is the doing though that is difficult. But certainly worth the effort. 

A percentage of that 90% will need medication, a percentage will stay on it for various reasons. But they will still be part of the 90%, better than being the other 10%.
12 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Saying that in 90% of cases anxiety can be treated is not the same as saying that it goes away.

This is my opinion and hypothesis, so take that for whatever it's worth. I think anxiety gets put back in its proper place with treatment. Everyone experiences anxiety to some degree at different points in their life. But it's folks like us that experience debilitating anxiety at times when there is no factual cause for that level of anxiety. Kind of like comparing sadness and mourning with clinical depression. 

I know that I will feel some anxiety when I move east. I think for the average person that might be something like being a little excited and a little scared. That's okay, and healthy even! But to feel that way non-stop for months on end - not cool.

Through treatment, I will get to that level where anxiety is a very temporary and reasonable well warranted experience that aids me, not defeats me. You will too. Unless you're that 10% that Davit mentions. Bang on call, by the way.

So, yeah, this BS form of anxiety that we have WILL go away. But please don't give up when average anxiety shows up once in awhile.
12 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally agree!!

Maggie

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And in the other 10% it is not the treatment that gives out but the person that gives in.

Davit
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Myth: My anxiety will never go away.

Fact: In 90% of cases, anxiety disorders can be effectively treated.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: