Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Stress, Part IV

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I realize I need to drop my expecting to accepting... so I can balance them both out. 

Hi Momsydoo,
I've read in a book where it talked about the survival of the fittest. The book said that that theory is not so accurate as much as people quote it because if the lion were the strongest of the animal kingdom, no zeebras or antelopes would be existing now. The zeebras and antelopes develope different tactics to survive and persevere in the wilderness. They may not be as 'strong' as the meat eaters but they pay attention to the details to keep their existence. Contrary to the lion, the zeebra needs to pay attention to their 'weakness' to be stronger. I sometimes think that the 'weak' are stronger than the 'strong'.

Hi Shadowkins, 
I'm always joking with my sister about how our whole family is a control freak. That is our inside joke word. We have trouble with surprizes. I need everything in my visual distance! But I'm learning to work on that now too. I think medication helps us close our eyes, definately. That's why it's good (sometimes)because even if we can see everything, it doesn't mean we'll really know what to do with it.

Just like all of you have mentioned, I took care of a lot of other people besides myself, and I still have that habit too. And if I don't take care of them, I used to kill myself with the guilt. So, I'm learning to put me first now too, and it's hard cuz I'm not so used to it either. 

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
IT IS NEVER TOO LATE.  Even though I often think it is. (just silly)

Davit

14 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like that quote too....I should put it on my fridge where I can see it.

Reading all your posts have made me realize that I too must change the way I do things in order to reduce the stress in my life. I have always been a bit of a control freak, I had to run everything and be sure all was well. I guess that all started 15 years ago when I had to take care of my terminal mother and make sure my dad was fine. Being the only child out of six who was close I had no alternative but to take control. My father has alzeimers and was difficult to say the least for quite awhile.
Too boot I had a six year old son with tons of energy. All this too say I think I picked up a bad habit by always being there
for everyone , now my parents are gone, my son is all grown up, I am terribly restricted to what I can do because of my hip and now this blasted anxiety.
I sometimes wonder if being on the tramacet help mask these issues and now without the meds I have to face the truth? Who knows... stress is a powerful thing and I do know that over the years I find I cannot handle the stress like I used too...Am I weak because of it...No, I don't think so but I must learn to be good to myself too. Drats! I haven't taken care of me for so long, I don't know if I know how. I just hope it's not too late.
momsydoo.

I love the quote.(sticker) It so covers so much of what you have to do to get through this. (are not panic attacks a form of hell). I too am guilty of helping others at the expense of myself and then feeling guilty after. I still take the time to help those that need it but no longer neglect what I need to do if I think they can do it for themselves and I really don't have the time. A person has to be social but not a martyr. I think you are definitely doing the right thing. Never mind what others think. It is what those of us and you who know what you are going through think that counts. 

Davit.
anerol

Since being on here and dealing with a lot of different people I have started to look at myself and some times I don't like what I see. I have some changes to make. Most in the area of acceptance. It is hard because I have some rigid ideals that I am no longer capable of following and probably should not have been there in the first place. I realize that they were and still are the source of a lot of my anxiety and if I can break away I will be a much more relaxed person. We shall see how I do in the next few months and I mean we because I intend to post how well I do. Wish me luck.

Davit
14 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get myself stressed out because I try to take care of others first.  Right now my blood pressure is borderline and I'm overweight and that doesn't help with the anxiety.  I have recently started to take 1/2 hour a day to do a little exercise, which once I get huffing and puffing, I feel my heart racing and heavy breathing and start to think I'm going to have an anxiety attack.  Sooooooo, then I have another 1/2 hour of deep breathing and trying to calm and convince myself its the exercise, not anxiety.  Thats when I start thinking I should be doing something I've told someone else I would do and the cycle starts again.  I'm getting better at calming now and still doing the exercises.  I have to convince myself that the people I'm putting ahead of me would rather I do this now than end up in the hospital from a heart attack.  Sometimes I know my husband is upset when he comes home from work and doesn't see much done around the house and he asks why, then I get anxious again, but after I explain that I was taking care of myself by exercising and then had to de-stress, I feel better, then I can dote on him a little and we both feel better.  This can be such a battle!  I know the people that know I have anxiety problems look at me and think I'm weak.  Sometimes I feel this way too, then I remind myself that if I weren't STRONG, I would have given up long ago.  Each time I have a major anxiety attack, I remind myself, that I'm usually better within a few days.  I remember a sticker my son had on his computer during college, it read, "If you're going through HELL, Just keep going".
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, I love this post of yours. You explained it very well.

For me, I have A LOT of ideals.. I am known as the girl of ideals... and that is probably what bites me so much. But I never really realized this until recently and I feel like just from this realization, I am learning to let go and accept that my ideals may differ from what is real. I realized how I had so much standards and how things SHOULD be this way or that. I should be like this or that... but never really paid attention what I really was, because I was so focused on what I should be. Now, I still SHOULD, but to the point where I can balance things.. this is what I'm trying to work on now. 

Changes in life as we age cause the need for change and not being able to change is a big cause of stress. Setting unobtainable goals is a cause of stress. Developing a chronic disease and not changing to adjust to it is a cause for stress. trying to be who you are not is a cause for stress. These are all formulas for disaster but can we stop ourselves from doing them? Maybe not. Take me. I have complications to my arthritis that leave me incapable of finishing things I have started and not capable of starting things I had planned. Can I down scale to a more realistic and obtainable goal? I don't know. Will I even try? I don't know. Can I drop all future projects and use the time and money to finish the ones I have started?
Does any of this even matter? I intend to hire someone to finish the things I have started because I have to admit that age has joined the enemy Arthritis and I can not do the things I used to do. Can I enjoy what I have accomplished? I think so, but I am sure there will be days when I still want it all. It is in this case all about being a success. Am I a success. Considering all I have against me including unwanted anxiety? Yes I think so. Can I convince myself of this?
 I don't know but I will try. Am I trying to live by someone else's ideals? I could be. Do I have something I could do in place of these things I can no longer do that would be rewarding? Of course. Will I try? I think so though it may be hard to let go of the past life for this new one. And the big question. How much stress will this take out of my life if I do this? It depends on how well I accept it. I have left my mark on life why can't I accept this as good enough? Why do I even care? Life goes on, best to enjoy it as best as possible.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to Behavioral Therapy Day (CBT) on the forums!

Earlier this week we talked about common ways in which we can reduce our stress. Today we will be exploring how our belief system intertwines with our stress levels.
A lot of stress results from our beliefs. We have literally thousands of ideas and assumptions about all kinds of topics & issues that we hold to be the truth. We have beliefs about things, people and ourselves (E.g.: Children should be seen and not heard, she’s too old to be wearing a short skirt, I’m so dumb... ) Most of these beliefs are held unconsciously.

These beliefs can cause stress in two ways:

1. The first is the behavior they cause.
For example, if you believe that work should come before pleasure, you are likely to work hard and schedule less time to yourself.  If you believe in “work hard, play hard” you are likely to be balanced.  

If you believe my husband/children/parent/patients/students /work/dog … come first, who’s taking care of you? These type of people tend to get overloaded and burnout.  Solution? Make an effort to learn the skill you are missing. In this case, one of the skills to focus on would be to learn how to delegate.

2. The second way beliefs cause stress is when they are in conflict with those of other people. If we can realize that our varying opinions reflect our upbringing and subsequently neither is right or wrong, our anger will often times diminish.

For ex: Your daughter battles you every morning because she wants to wear her dress to school in the middle of winter.  This morning power struggle stresses you as a parent and stresses your child.  Really, what is the core issue here? You were taught you do not wear dresses when it is cold out. Your three year old may be under the assumption she can wear a dress on any occasion and may not understand the sudden restrictions.

You have three options
1. Keep fighting (neither your way nor her way)
2. Put thick tights on your child (her way but you know she won’t be cold)
3. Let her go bare legs (her way but she’ll likely have a change of opinion having learned the natural consequence of wearing a dress in winter time.)

Last week, we asked you to keep track of your stressful events. How many of them were rooted in your beliefs? What beliefs were they? Are those beliefs the absolute truth?

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: