Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

chicken or the egg?

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me it started with the panic attack first and now, I just anticipate it all the time. The anticipation gets me sick now!!
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your input everyone!  I appreciate it.  Yes, being in a state of calm gets me better prepared than worry! I will try to deep breath that is something I don't do.
Birdie

15 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mine are caused by dreading eating which in turn causes me to panic.  So in my case the egg came before the chicken   Looks like it's different for everyone though!
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there Birdie , tis a good question . One i dont honestly know really . When i was really bad a few months ago i was getting panic attacks one after the other . I just didnt know why so found them hard to control . Now i know more , or have calmed down so much i feel when im getting that bit too much so do the deep breathing for as long as nessersary . But i have also noticed that when i do deep breathing i start to get more anxious that im not doing it right , can you believe that for goodness sake ?
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Birdie,   That's an interesting question!   I believe a big part of the panic attack is the anticipation of it. It may help you to practice deep breathing exercises daily to bring your mind into a calmer state. With your tummy tucked in and shoulders back, inhale deeply for a count of 5 and then exhale slowly through the mouth for a count of 5. The great thing about deep breathing is that you can do it anywhere.........even a few minutes before your client shows up!   Positive thinking is also key...........as you said - focus on the task and you will ride through the fear.   Faryal - Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, my question is what comes first, the panic attack or the thought of panic??????
Work is where my challenge is often.  Before my client comes specifically males I worry about what if I panic.
Women I don't worry about so much because I figure they would understand.  Maybe this is false thinking.  But I have been rejected by several men because of my anxiety.  (That's another topic I guess).  For example, I worked on Saturday, anticipated fear and I started to panic, then as I didn't allow my thoughts to focus on that I focus on our conversation I was fine.
Other times it seems that my panic comes from no where but maybe i've learned to respond from past experience.....
I'd like to know what you all think.........................Thanks!
Birdie

Reading this thread: