Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Benefits of Yoga, Meditation & Tai Chi

15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cornish-Dee,

I have found that the best qualified instructors belong to the school of Iyengar yoga.  They make them jump numerous hoops to gain high levels of certification.  Generic instructors will claim to know "Hatha" yoga which is just a translation of sun/moon.  Some places will issue certification for Hatha in a couple of weekends,  which doesn't mean there aren't good instructors that use the name.  Another interesting group is Kripalu,  another very gentle style,  incorporating even some couples' poses.  A very popular style that incorporates breathing, chanting and poses simultaneously is Kundalini yoga, again finding a gentle caring instructor of any style is most important.

I hope you are successful tracking down an appropriate outlet.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Blimin eck Johnny0 , i seriously didnt know there was different types of yoga . All i have ever seen is on the telly . Where people sit and bend in sme interesting positions . That quite frankly looks quite painful .

I will look into it , i dont really live in a big much happening town so we will see .

Thank-you for letting me know

15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would suggest to cornish-dee to explore various forms of yoga.  I went to one recently called Yin-Yoga,  perhaps after the famous Yin-Yang symbol and it required no strenuous movements or difficult posture.  It was a series of comfortable sitting or lying,  where one relaxed into a gentel stretch.  Sometimes you will see a class called restorative yoga, I would presume these two would not be like the more vigorous Ashtanga that athletic people are attracted to.  We also have hot yoga here, where the class is in a room with elevated temperature.  Phew.

Ultimately any activity that gets the body and the energy moving is good.  I got on the bike this weekend,  didn't do any great distance but am sure it was better than lying onthe floor watching video
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to take yoga classes before which was a different type of yoga, more for warming up your body. I enjoyed the class a lot. In fact, I feel the most alive and happy when I do activities with my body (except for extremes!). I do aerobics right now and sometimes yoga at home... but its hard to get myself started. But I feel refreshed afterwards.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh boy , would love a go at Tai Chi . Never really considered Yoga , im kind of over weight so dont have the figure if you know what i mean . But reading what you just said about sounds very good for you .

Hopefully someone will be along and tell us how its helped them , would be nice to see . 

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Members,

Our focus in recent weeks has been on stress management. Yoga, meditation & Tai Chi are often recommended to relieve stress. Below you’ll find a list of potential benefits that you may gain as a result of engaging in such activities:

° Yoga can help relieve asthma symptoms, respiratory problems, high blood pressure, pain, mental performance, mood, back problems, arthritis, libido, weight and anxiety.

° Psychology Today reports that individual observed during and after meditation showed shifts of brain activity from right frontal cortex to the left frontal cortex. The right side of the frontal cortex is a part of the brain that becomes active when stress levels rise. The study also noted that after eight weeks of meditation the shift from right to left in the brains of participants became more permanent. In other words, participants moods were rated higher than at the beginning of the study. (Collin, A., Psychology Today, April 24, 2003.)

° Tai Chi can help relieve osteoarthritis pain, joint pain & overall mobility, balance, muscle strength and mood.

Have any members here tried these relaxing activities? What was your experience?   Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: