Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,480 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Why Am I Always Told To Work The Program?

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Birdie, As you can see from your own research, 12 step groups for anxiety do exist. They range from general emotional health, to panic and more specifically some groups choose to focus on social anxiety. Another avenue to try for additional support, is peer mentoring. Peer mentoring is like a sponsor in AA. An individual who has rehabilitated from panic disorder will help guide & support you through your journey. The best places to find these types of support groups are to contact your local mental health unit. They will be better able to inform you of what services are located in your area. To help you locate mental health professionals in your area, The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has a Referral List available, which gives the names and telephone numbers of organizations that can provide you with a referral. If you live in the United States call 1-800-64-PANIC. You can also try the Anxiety Disorders Association of America: http://www.adaa.org/ Hope this helps! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I looked up an adaa group that is about 45 minutes away for me. That might be possible but a challenge with family and work. I was wondering is there any 12 step groups for anxiety???? I was involved with that type of group for many years because of a family members drinking problem. That group literally restored me from crippling thoughts but that program doesn't fit my needs anymore. Would love more info, Danielle!!!!! Birdie
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well i would go to one if we had one . Sounds great .
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Research has also shown that behavioral therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can be very effective for treating panic disorder and agoraphobia. Types of Therapy: Support Groups Self-help and support groups are the least expensive approach to managing panic disorder and agoraphobia, and are helpful for some people. A group of about 5 to 10 people meet weekly and share their experiences, encouraging each other to venture into feared situations and cope effectively with panic attacks. Group members are in charge of the sessions. Often family members are invited to attend these groups, and at times a therapist or other panic disorder expert may be brought in to share insights with group members. Information on self-help groups in specific areas of the country can be obtained from the Anxiety Disorders Association of America. Behavioral Therapy Behavioral therapy focuses on changing your specific behaviors by using several techniques to help you decrease or stop unwanted behavior. It often includes learning relaxation techniques. By learning to relax, many people acquire the ability to reduce generalized anxiety and stress. Generalized anxiety and stress often set the stage for panic attacks. Breathing exercises are often included in behavioral therapy. Breathing exercises teach patients to control their breathing and avoid hyperventilation€”a pattern of rapid, shallow breathing that can trigger panic attacks. What treatments are you utilizing at the moment? Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: