Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Not enough success stories posted here lately! I´ll add mine!

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello carmie

Would you have believed a year ago that this would happen? Or two? I bet it is a good feeling. I'm glad you let us know.

Davit
11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Loves Trees :) I totally get what you mean with learning a skill for life. Learning CBT can also be related to learning avoidance, how at times you feel tempted to use that skill you learnt when the anxiety first started, but you have to remind yourself there are other skills you know that are better suited for the situation.

Congratulations Carmie! I'm sure you felt amazing after running your half marathon. All the hard work paid off :)
11 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello!

I wanted to first of all congratulate you, loves trees, on your success! 

Managing my anxiety used to always be on the forefront of my mind.  My anxiety really had a grip on me and on the choices that I made in life. 

I'm happy to report that I think about anxiety very infrequently now.  Usually I think of it and am amazed and grateful at how far I've come!

One of my goals here was to run a half marathon in April.  Well, it was supposed to be last April - but - I ran my first half marathon this weekend and it was under very adverse and unexpected weather conditions (freezing temperatures and 50 mph wind gusts).  I worried about the weather just a little bit that morning (but I think that was to be expected).  I used to get panic attacks while running - and I haven't had one in ages.  I used to carry around my emergency bottle of Ativan everywhere I went - I don't do that anymore and I haven't had to take any of it since last January.

I wanted to send a note of support to everyone.  Our brains are capable of so much.  Once I realized that I could be in charge of my thoughts and I could choose to fill my head with positive thoughts, everything changed for me.  It took practice to implement and to create habits so that positivity became second nature to me. I am so grateful for the techniques learned on this site and from all of you!

I wish all of you the very best in your journeys!
Carmie

11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie995,

Way to go with your trip to get the present yesterday for your Dad! 

People who don't understand anxiety don't understand how it works and how it is cured. They can minimize something like this when you are working on your anxiety and working to challenge it and its affects. So I really get how big this is and yes, you should feel great about your experience doing that. 

As I read your post,I thought about how CBT involves learning new skills that you will always know after you learn them. You may get rusty if you don't practice but you will not un-know CBT.

Take the example of learning to ride a bike. Once you learn how to balance yourself, and ride the bike down the road for the first time, you have that skill now. Yes, it gets easier and easier to go faster and faster but there is that first ride where you are able to do it without a parent holding onto the back and the skill just builds from there by riding around more and more. Or learning to talk or read (I am a parent so I have witnessed a person learning these things and so the fact that we don't forget how to read once we know how is obvious for me in day to day life). Humans are built to learn skills. And when we learn a new skill, a lot of the time, its in us from then on. Of course if we don't practice it our ability to do it well can get rusty but the fundamental knowledge is now there. 

CBT is a way of thinking - I think of CBT as learning a new language. You learn it, and then you never go back to not knowing it ever again. 

Even if you learn Spanish and then don't practice it for 4 years, you still know some. In this same way, once you "know" how to do CBT, when or if anxiety returns, you'll have skills you didn't have before. You will know what to do with the "what if..." thoughts. 

If you forget, there's this site and others and books that will jog your memory - just like visiting somenoe who speaks spanish to brush up on speaking spanish, or getting on a bike after not riding for a while.

Keep up the good work!
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LT,
I'll bet a lot of people drop off the site, after improving.  I'm not sure how many, but I'll bet some move on with life, but never come back to encourage, as you have.
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for sharing Loves trees!

You have been such a supportive and helpful member in the support group. Hearing about all your successes will no doubt be very empowering for other members.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aww thank you Loves Trees!

I enjoyed reading your post, and it's great you're doing so well :)

The two steps forward and one step back is definitely something I can identify with, and part of what's stopping me from getting better is the worry the anxiety will come back again full force. This is maybe the third or forth time I've reached the point I'm at now where I hardly leave the house. I know the further away I move from this point, the further I have to fall when it does come back. I tell myself it's better this way, safer somehow, and it's too risky to get better.

I was pretty happy with myself yesterday when I went to buy my Dad's birthday present. I got out of the car and the shop I had to go to was a fair walk inside the shopping centre which is scary for me as escape would not have been easy. But I did it with minimal anxiety, and got the present I knew he would love :)

It's amazing how something so small can leave you feeling great for the rest of the day. I felt brave, like I'd accomplished something haha.

Thanks again Loves Trees, for reminding me to look at the positive :)

Kaitie.
11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,

I joined this site a few years ago. When I think about where I was when I joined this site, I am totally amazed at how far away all of that feels now. On medical shows, they are keen to show MRI scans of brain activity and show different parts of the brain of people who are depressed, anxious, happy, sad etc... I am pretty sure my brain looks different today than it did before I knew what CBT was. I feel like a more grounded, confident version of myself. It is exciting and I am happy.

I wanted to post a success story because they were so helpful for me to read when I was doing this program the first time. For those of you who are joining this site and starting the program, I wanted to post this to add to the numbers of people who have cured their panic and learned to manage their anxiety. 

It can be done. 

A lot of factors contributed to my getting to this point of not having panic anymore. CBT was one big factor but it wasn't the only factor. I had to learn a lot about emotional dysregulation and I would say most of what I now do I learned by myself, and the people I sought professional help from were not very helpful at all. I hope in the next decade or sooner, there are more helpful doctors and professionals to help with mental wellness but right now, it is very hit and miss with help. 

I had to read a lot of information online and in books and not all of it was helpful. Some of it steered me in the wrong direction. I wished and still wish there was one book that had the correct answer for people with panic because it is really really hard to live a life where you want help so badly but are not able to find it anywhere so you keep trying by looking up different things to read and try. CBT all by itself was not enough to cure my panic although without challenging my thoughts and core beliefs I would not be cured of panic- so it is foundational to the other things I had to do. 

I hope this post helps at least one person and that anyone who comes to this site feels encouraged to learn CBT and overcome their panic attacks. 

I experienced exponential growth in my ability to manage anxiety. In other words, if one day I challenged 1 negative thought, the next day I could challenge 3, and the next day 6 and then 12 and so on. Every month it got easier to challenge the negativity. However, what this meant is that 4 months after successfully challenging many negative thoughts, if I got overwhelmed or close to panic in month 5, I would have to challenge feelings of defeat or disapointment because I had to wonder if I was sliding back, and how far would I slide, and thus started the negative thought process on its merry way. There were months where during the month, my progress felt imperceptible until I looked back and saw I had gotten through some things that were challenging. The "two steps forward, one step back" nature of my progress with panic was a struggle. Its probably like that for a lot of people working with mental well being such as addiction or other things where you feel yourself slide back and the sliding causes anxiety in itself. I am making a point of describing that aspect of it here because when you are in this program and some things are improving-maybe for the first time you can remember-a setback can bring on overwhelming feelings of fear or defeat and I can think back to those feelings as they are so crystallized in my mind. 

If you feel alone, keep posting on this site. There were times when I felt like the facilitators here, and Davit and Sunny and Red where the only people on the planet who had an inkling of an idea of what I was going through. 

I think differently now, about myself and about other people. I counter all my negative thoughts with more realistic ones. I counter every "what if". It took a few years to get here. Do not give up on yourself. That is my message.

Reading this thread: