Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Writer´s block

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tend to avoid, and see that pervasive pattern over decades, so I'm not sure I agree with the author.  His book is inspirational though, since it generates hope, and he writes well, and has OCD and other similar issues which he describes so I feel empathic with him as a writer.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to disagree because I have had writers block where I have had to post at a different time because the words just won't line up in sensible order. I've had this happen in work too where I just can't do things in the right order to make them go smooth. Some times it is fatigue but usually it is mental nit picking by something that isn't even important. When this happens it is an obvious block that needs to be removed by rest or more often by giving the block attention and getting rid of it. And of course there is the other thing, I'm just being stubborn and lazy. like this morning, but then I never was a morning person.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Interesting idea. This could be the case but you would have to be careful it is not avoidance and anxiety that is making you resistent. How do you think you would be able to tell the difference?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The author Ray Robertson proposes in his book "Why Not"  that "....there is no such thing as writer's block...if you have nothing to say, say I;if not don't.  Having nothing to write about doesn't mean that you're blocked - it means that you shouldn't be writing...we weren't drafted...we volunteered...".

I wonder if that applies to everyday living, and wanting to do things?  Maybe when I'm resistant, it's just not meant to be so I could find an alternative behaviour?

Reading this thread: